What to do with three hours in Montreux?

• BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    6 August 2018 at 6:36:49 #817698

We have seven nights in Wengen (first week of September) and plan to see Shilthorn and Jungfraujoch based on the weather. Another ‘day trip’ option is to go to Montreux. We will do the section of the Golden Pass Line from Interlaken to Lucerne when we leave Wengen.

I would like to do the Golden Pass Line, via Zweisimmen, to Montreaux and can enjoy the MOB Panoramic train by leaving Launterbrunnen at 10:32 and arrive at Montreux at 14:13. The faster service for the return has a number of departure times but taking the one that gets us back by 20:25 gives us a little over 3 hours in Montreux. I was thinking leisurely late lunch/early dinner unless there is a great gallery or local promenade that is worth a stroll. I know there is no way to do Montreux justice in a couple of hours – the purpose of the trip is the train journey. (One of the few we will do without luggage!) Any suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    6 August 2018 at 10:07:29 #893403

Stroll along the lake, and possibly visit Chillon Castle.

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    6 August 2018 at 12:00:29 #893404

Chillon Castle (weather dependent) looks like a great photo opportunity. I shall investigate the access options further. Thx Snowman. 👍

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    7 August 2018 at 7:29:18 #893405

Take a ride on the Montreaux to Vervey trolley bus.

Some pleasant views of the lake.

And you get to mix with the locals.

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    7 August 2018 at 7:36:14 #893406

Thx Gunzel, I did not know there was a trolley bus! I shall google it and find the route from the train station!

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    Annika
    7124 posts
    7 August 2018 at 8:17:06 #893408

Hi BarSal! You can find some more information here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/montreux.

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    7 August 2018 at 9:19:11 #893409

Great advice and thx for the links! I have logged three options in my OneNote tab “Montreux”

From Montreux railway station – short walk to the lake side, to the boat stop Montreux Lac – take boat to Chateau-de-Chillon (Lac) and walk to Chateau and do the tour

The trolleybus goes south to Chillon (to see the Chateau) OR north to Vervey where you can take the funicular to Mt Pelerin through the terraced vineyards around Lake Geneva (funicular 1.5km – journey time 10 mins)

OR stay at the train station and make a dash from arrival platform 6 to platform 8 (you have 4 minutes) and take the train to Rochers-de-Naye mountain

• The thread ‘What to do with three hours in Montreux?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.