What town to stay in Graubünden for hiking?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2018 at 2:33:48 #817610

Hi there!

I will be visiting Switzerland in September and am hoping to visit the canton of Graubünden. I would love any suggestions on which region/town to stay in. The main focus on my trip will be hiking and exploring the outdoors/countryside- I am less interested in cities. I am on a budget and traveling alone so I restaurants and nightlife aren’t a priority for me.

From what I’ve read so far it seems as if Pontresina in the Upper Engadin might be a good fit, or possibly Bergün. Are there any other towns or valleys that I should be investigating?

Thank you so much 🙂

Anna

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 August 2018 at 6:01:34 #893001

Hi Anna,

Graubünden has many options for a great hiking holiday, you’ll find links to various regions here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gr aubunden. Chur is a nice city but it would not be the best fit to your requirements. Davos and St. Moritz are somewhat bigger towns you may want to avoid if you prefer smaller villages, although they are surrounded by great scenery and many hiking trails.

There are too many options to list here, but a few towns to consider are Bergün and Filisur in the Albula valley, and Bever, Celerina, Samedan, Pontresina, La Punt and Zuoz in the Upper Engadine. All of these towns have a train station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2018 at 17:39:10 #893002

Hi Arno,

Thank you so much for your response! Would you be able to provide any pros/cons or reasons behind the towns you recommended? From what I’ve read/seen on maps, it looks like I can’t go wrong with any of them 🙂

Thanks again!

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2018 at 5:50:59 #893003

I think the one thing to keep in mind is accessibility. They do all have train stations as Arno notes, but some will have better connections to the surrounding areas than others.

Have a look at the connection options between the towns on the Swiss railways timetable to see what works best for you: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    3 August 2018 at 12:54:15 #893004

My vote would go to Berguen. I have stayed there in Hotel Albula. The hike along the rail line to Preda is outstanding. It is maintained by the Rhaetian railroad with several information tablets at scenic points. Rail photography hikers love it for photos of tunnels and bridges. Takes about 2.5 hours if you are in a rush. You can catch a train back to Berguen at Preda if you wish. Many other trails are close by. The hotel is simple but comfortable and includes breakfast ( a buffet for one my first visit).

• The thread ‘What town to stay in Graubünden for hiking?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.