When to purchase train tickets to Rome?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2016 at 23:40:19 #808963

Hello everyone. I’m sorry if this is a repetitive question but can’t quite find the answer I’m looking for… We will be in the Grisenwald area for about 10 days near the end of July. We plan to travel from Grisenwald to Rome by train. Is it necessary to purchase the tickets ahead of time? There will be 4 adults and 2 children traveling. Also, can we start our journey in Grisenwald or do we need to go to a different town? I’ve looked on line about booking and on the SBB we can’t online book for parties of 6 or more so… now, I have to either email or call them to request they prepare the booking for us…. starting to get messy…. Thanks for all suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 April 2016 at 4:26:10 #850998

Welcome tmclaire!

Please let us know where Grisenwald is. Or do you mean Grindelwald perhaps? Also, how will you reach that town, and what trips have you planned during your stay? All of this matters as a rail pass might make sense.

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2016 at 11:42:30 #850999

Hello. Well, I goofed. I did mean Grindelwald.. We will fly into Basel and take a train to Grindelwald, staying at a Chalet for 10 days. We don’t have to do a lot of paying activities – look like there are beautiful hikes right in our area; however, I expect we’ll want to head somewhere – Thun and the castle, who knows – so I expect we’ll need transportation about 3 – 4 round trips from Grindelwald before leaving via train on the last day. Thanks for helping.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 April 2016 at 12:32:39 #851000

Hi tmclaire,

In that case I’d recommend to buy the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi for the 4 adults. It includes the transfer from the airport to Grindelwald and from Grindelwald to the Italian border (Domodossola). Additionally you’ll get a 50% discount on tickets during your stay (train to Thun, cable cars, a boat trip perhaps). The children travel along for free everywhere. Details are here: myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket.

Apart from that you need tickets from Domodossola to Rome. You can obtain these from the websites listed here: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/italy/ price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2016 at 12:45:58 #851001

Thanks for this information!

• The thread ‘When to purchase train tickets to Rome?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.