Where to visit for a family group trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2017 at 9:38:26 #810531

We a group of 3 families with 1.5 year old kids and are planning to visit Switzerland.
    We will be taking TGV from Paris and spend 6 or 7 days in Switzerland and then travel to Venice

In Switzerland we would love to visit scenic locations and villages and enjoy the country ambience as well.

Please could you provide a list of must visit places to cover on our type of trip

We have taken Eurail pass already for 4 countries France-Switzerland-Italy-Austria

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2017 at 12:21:06 #857867

Hi Anaz0707,

It sounds like a great European trip you are planning!

When are you coming to Switzerland? This will affect my own and other users recommendations on what to do and where to go.

Please take a look at our page of suggestions for scenic trips in Switzerland. It covers spectacular train rides, boat rides and some of the best regions to visit.

From my own experience, I always highly recommend the Glacier Express or the Golden Pass train rides (depending on which one fits your final itinerary best).
    As for Swiss country ambiance (I assume you are looking for mountain experiences) take a look at our page on some of the best natural sites in Switzerland. Gornergrat (and the Matterhorn) as well as Jungfraujoch are perhaps the best known and most popular destinations.

Once you have a better idea on where you want to go and when you will be going we can help you with more recommendations for your trip!

best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2017 at 18:39:22 #857868

We are planning to reach Switzerland on May7th and travel to Venice on May14th

Also we should like to relax n sit back for a day without travelling in any mountain view village in interlaken like in a homestay rather than hotels. Where would you suggest for that

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2017 at 9:13:39 #857869

Hi Anaz0707,

Have you had a chance to look at the links I mentioned in my first post? Do any of those appeal to you?

Taking the train from Paris, it may make the most sense to enter Switzerland through Basel, then down to Interlaken (to explore Jungfraujoch and Lauterbrunnen areas) and then on to Milan and Venice.

As for a stay in a nice mountain view village I would suggest Lauterbrunnen area. The pages I have linked to have information on hotels in the area.
    I am not sure about home stays available to you however. Due to the size of your group it may be difficult. Perhaps take a look at Airbnb.com or homestays.com.

Other members might have more information for you on that point.

Regards,
    Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 January 2017 at 16:59:29 #857870

Hi Anaz0707,

Esther's guesthouse in Gimmelwald may appeal to you. It is big enough to host 3 families and the views from Gimmelwald are amazing. Note that Gimmelwald is car free and very small. There are no facilities apart from the cableway in and out of the village. Mürren is nearby.

• The thread ‘Where to visit for a family group trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.