Where to stay in the Jungfraujoch region

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2018 at 8:18:40 #818236

Hi there

We are staying in Lucurne for 6 nights in late April and I am wondering because we want to go to First and The Schilthorn and maybe explore more around that area should we stay somewhere in the Alps.

1 If we visit the Schilthorn and First where is the best place to stay in April. We will be with another couple in our 5o’s and will want to buy groceries from a supermartket to cook in an apartment. We would like to stay in a area somewhere with nice views.

2 I was thinking of Grindelwald, Wengen or Lauterbruennan , based on the above which do you think would be best or maybe somewhere else.

3 I know some of the walks are shut , however The Shilthorn will be open when we are there.

4 What is at Kleine Scheidegg to do?

5 How much time would we allow at First. We were planning on walking to the lake. Is that possible in April?

5 How far is is from Grindelwald to First and The Schilthorn

Any other advice regarding where to stay in The Jungfraujouch region in late April would be most welcome.

Many thanks for your continued advice and help.

Debbie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2018 at 16:09:33 #895719

Hi Debbie,

I think Grindelwald would suit your needs: http://www.myswissalps.com/gr indelwald for a place to stay.

Mostly there is a restaurant at Kleine Scheidegg as well as hikes but they may not be accessible at that time.

The hike to Bachalpsee (http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/bachsee) from First is open in the winter and summer but often there are issues accessing it in the Spring depending on snow conditions.

From Grindelwald downtown (say the train station) it is about a 10 minute walk to the First Gondola (and then 30 minutes to the top of First).

To Schilthorn is a lot longer and will depend on your route. You can check the options on the timetable here:http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable – enter Grindelwald to Schilthorn and it will give you the most direct options.

April is not the best time to visit the Jungfrau region. Many places are closed and keep in mind many/all hikes above 2000m will not be accessible. http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2018 at 19:35:59 #895720

Thank you so much Lucas for your help

Its difficult to actually find out which walks are closed.

I was thinking Lautenerbrunnen to stay actually as it may be more assessable and centrally located? Wondering if more shops ect would be open there than at Grindelwald?

Just wondering if you know if the walk from Wengernalp to Kleine Scheidegg is open in late April?

many thanks

Debbie

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 September 2018 at 20:18:41 #895721

Hi Debbie,

Grindelwald is bigger and has more shops than Lauterbrunnen. As for hiking trails: you won’t know for sure which ones are accessible until you’re there. It depends on the weather conditions in winter and spring. Best you can do is to assume that trails above 1500-2000 m won’t be accessible, and check with the tourist office when you’re there. There will always be options to hike and to visit places, just not as many as in summer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2018 at 8:00:07 #895722

I once spent a few days in Obort, very close to BRAUNAU, in Thuringen (NOT Austria!! :-))

I was there in Spring and it was peaceful, picturesque and fairly quiet. Braunau is a summer and winter resort, with at least two stages of ski lifts, one stage not open all year round . Try Googling it and see whether there is anything more specific on weather – although these days it is really hit-and-miss all over the globe.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2018 at 0:30:24 #895723

Hi Lucas

When I enter Grindelwald to Schilthorn, it brings up destinations with Interlaken. Sorry I am a bit confused if you can help me.

Thanks Debbie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2018 at 3:52:22 #895724

Lucas just another question or 2

I know you also mentioned previously about going from Wengen to Mannlichen. When I google this it seems it is closed in April, but open in the winter and summer. The royal walk looks good but cant seem to find out if its open?

Also with staying in Lucurne from 18.4.19 to 20.4.19 then travelling to Grindelwald for 3 nights, we are narrowing our chances of good weather for The Schilthorn as that shuts for maintenance from 23 to 26th April thus leaving only the day we arrive in Grindelwald or the next.

We were thinking of going to Grindelwald for the 1st 3 nights then doing Lucurne to incorporate more opportunities for good weather in Grindelwald before the Schilthorn shuts , but my friends are traveling from Munich and apparently its a 10 hour trip.

So not sure what to do? any advice. Obviously I am researching what will be opened ect when we are at each place before we lock in accommodation. Thanks Debbie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2018 at 7:13:19 #895725

Hi Debbie,

1. Yes, the fastest route to Schilthorn from Grindelwald is to head towards Interlaken (direction of the train) but you don’t go all the way to Interlake. You have a couple changes to get there (train, bus, cable car). The timetable gives you exact details.
    2. Yes, the Mannlichen cable car is a good option to get from one valley to the next but it is not running in April
    3. I agree that going to Grindelwald before Lucerne in your case is probably a good idea with closing dates of Schilthorn. Munich to Grindelwald isn’t too much farther than Munich to Lucerne. Google Maps is always optimistic but it will not take 10 hours for them to get to Grindelwald. About 4.5 hours to Lucerne and 6 to Grindelwald (again a little optimistic).
    4. You could base yourself in Lucerne for the whole trip though. Take a day trip from there to Schilthorn when the weather looks good. It will depend on what is open when you are there and where it is in relation to the towns you are staying in – you might find Lucerne is more convenient at that time of year (especially if Schilthorn is your only destination in the Jungfrau region: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2018 at 1:03:28 #895726

Thanks again Lucas

I have been trying to find out what walks, cable cars ect that will be closed in April around Grindelwald. I have used one of the links you have given me, however some do not state what will be closed at that time.

I just want to make sure that if we stay in Grindelwald that there will be enough to keep us busy for that time of year.

Schilthorn and maybe a day on First. Can you suggest any other walks, experiences for another day in Grindelwald that will be open in April.

many thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2018 at 6:25:27 #895727

Hi Lucy,

I believe all the mountains we list on our site have details on closing dates: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/naturalsites – which ones are you looking for? We don’t have First listed yet but it will be operating in April.

Any hikes listed over 15000-2000 meters most likely won’t be open for safety reasons: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king – but you will have to check with the local tourism office upon arrival. If we get a heavy snowfall this winter the trails may still be open as snowshoeing / snow hiking trails. It is when the snow begins to melt that the trails close until the snow is gone completely in mid to late June (avalanche risk).

I think if skiing or snowshoeing is not an interest I’d still visit, but limit my time in Grindelwald in April, and spend more time in Lucerne (or other areas like Montreux or even Zermatt to see the Matterhorn).

http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2018 at 8:33:13 #895728

Thanks for all this Infurnation everyone . Based on what has been said Lucy I think the best option is to leave Lucerne as our base and travel from there . Easier access via transport also 😀

• The thread ‘Where to stay in the Jungfraujoch region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.