Which Swiss rail pass for family of 5

• Sarahfaye
    Participant
    10 posts
    17 March 2017 at 16:45:52 #811103

We are a family of 5(2 adults, 3 children under 16) travelling to Europe this summer, and are planning our 2-3 days in Switzerland. I have picked up many useful tips from the forum but with 3 children I can’t seem to get a clear picture of which pass is the most economical for us! Here is our plan:

Day 1: Basel to Lauterbrunnen, walk through the valley to Stechelberg where we are staying-if the weather is good go up to Schilthorn this day (best option for us), if weather looks better for the next day walk around Murren/grindelwald etc.

Day 2: Schilthorn early if not possible the day before, picnic lunch (any suggestions?), train to Interlaken, boat to Spiez (if the weather is good), train to Broc for chocolate tour – we are staying with friends in neuchatel this night

Day 3: tour around with our friends, train from Neuchatel to Basel

I know there is so much more to see in Switzerland, but we will just have to plan another trip to enjoy that another time.

Here are my questions: the discounts for children to go up the Schiltorn with a pass will save us a lot of money, but which pass is actually the best for us with this itinerary? The excel spreadsheet is excellent but with 3 children to account for I couldn’t seem to make it work for me. Thanks in advance for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 16:56:24 #860176

Hi SArahfaye,

If both adults buy a Swiss Travel Pass then you can add on the free Swiss Family Card which covers all children under 16 – they then travel for free so no calculations needed for them, just for the adults!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Which Swiss rail pass for family of 5’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.