Which Swiss rail pass for family of 5

Which Swiss rail pass for family of 5

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Sarahfaye
Sarahfaye
6 posts
Mar 17, 2017 - 4:45 PM

We are a family of 5(2 adults, 3 children under 16) travelling to Europe this summer, and are planning our 2-3 days in Switzerland. I have picked up many useful tips from the forum but with 3 children I can't seem to get a clear picture of which pass is the most economical for us! Here is our plan:

Day 1: Basel to Lauterbrunnen, walk through the valley to Stechelberg where we are staying-if the weather is good go up to Schilthorn this day (best option for us), if weather looks better for the next day walk around Murren/grindelwald etc.

Day 2: Schilthorn early if not possible the day before, picnic lunch (any suggestions?), train to Interlaken, boat to Spiez (if the weather is good), train to Broc for chocolate tour - we are staying with friends in neuchatel this night

Day 3: tour around with our friends, train from Neuchatel to Basel

I know there is so much more to see in Switzerland, but we will just have to plan another trip to enjoy that another time.

Here are my questions: the discounts for children to go up the Schiltorn with a pass will save us a lot of money, but which pass is actually the best for us with this itinerary? The excel spreadsheet is excellent but with 3 children to account for I couldn't seem to make it work for me. Thanks in advance for your help!

Lucas
Lucas
8012 posts
expert &
Mar 17, 2017 - 4:56 PM in reply to Sarahfaye

Hi SArahfaye,

If both adults buy a Swiss Travel Pass then you can add on the free Swiss Family Card which covers all children under 16 - they then travel for free so no calculations needed for them, just for the adults!

Lucas

Last modified on Mar 18, 2017 - 7:38 AM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018