Which Rail Pass Is Best For My Itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2014 at 3:56:22 #806415

Hello,

I am having difficulty figuring out which pass to purchase (Germany-Switzerland Regional Eurail Pass, Swiss Youth Pass, Swiss Half Fare Pass, etc.). The only trains I will be taking in Germany are from 1) Berlin to Munich and 2) Munich to Zurich. Regarding Switzerland, I plan on traveling primarily in the Lauterbrunnen area and would also like to go to the top of Jungfrau. I have looked extensively at all passes and am still confused. Any help would be much appreciated! I will have 6 days in Switzerland and have a “rough draft” itinerary below for 4 of the 6 days. The itinerary is broken up by train rides:

Day 1
    Zurich–>Bern
    Bern–>Thun (to see lake Thun)
    Thun–> Interlaken OST
    Interlaken OST–>Lauterbrunnen

Day 2
    Lauterbrunnen–>Jungfrau (top of mountain ride)
    (If I have time): Lauterbrunnen–>Wengen
    Round trip cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen
    Wengen–>Lauterbrunnen

Day 3
    Lauterbrunnen–>Luzern

Day 4
    Luzern–>Zurich

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 June 2014 at 7:17:13 #840132

Hi hml20,

Thanks for posting your question here. I wouldn’t choose a Eurail Pass with just 2 trips in Germany. You’d better purchase point to point tickets for Germany: Berlin – Munich and Munich – Swiss border (probably Schaffhausen or St. Margrethen, depending on your route). An 8-day Swiss Youth Pass would cover everything in Switzerland (most is free, mountain transport is discounted). See here for what’s included. I am assuming you are 25 or younger. If not, a regular Swiss Pass would apply. A 4-day pass may also fit your needs if you don’t need much traveling in the last two days, but that depends on your plans.

I’m not sure when you’re traveling, but if it’s within the next 6 months, you can profit from the promotion offering a $50 discount on your pass. It’s available for 3 more days. See here please: http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html. It’s the best available price and cheaper than buying locally.

The tickets for Germany can be found here: http://www.raileurope.com/eur opean-trains/ice/how-to-book.html

If you want to see Lake Thun, the town of Thun is not the best place to do so (despite the name). The center of town and the rail station are not directly on the lake. You can walk over to the Schadaupark in about 15 minutes and see the lake there. But Thun is located in the utmost corner of the lake so you really can’t see it all from there. A better option is to take a boat to Interlaken West (free with the pass). Second best, and quicker, is to take bus 21 from Thun to Interlaken Ost via the northern bank of the lake (also free).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2014 at 14:31:27 #840133

Thank you very much for your response! Your advice was extremely helpful and I will definitely purchase an 8-Day Swiss Youth Pass (I am currently 25). Thank you again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2014 at 14:42:53 #840134

Burn is worth visiting , don’t forget to check the weather on the top of Europe , Ur itinerary seems to be absolutely perfect .I had heard that Lauternbrunnen Was the most beautiful place in the world , in deed I experienced it too

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2014 at 14:44:25 #840135

Bern *

• The thread ‘Which Rail Pass Is Best For My Itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.