Which rail pass is best for 3 days near Lucerne?

• Anu
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 May 2018 at 12:01:22 #815717

Dear All,

We are group of 6 people travelling to Switzerland for the first time. We are planning to put up at Lucerne. I am so excited and I keep reading on reviews and made me go bonkers. I read on the rail pass and discounts but am confused. What will be the best pass to buy for 2nights and 3 days?. We are planning to use the busses, rail and boat ride. We are also planning on doing the tours on our own. We love nature and heard that there are scenic rail rides as well.

This is a rough itinerary that I came up with.

Day 1: London-Zurich(flight)-Train to Lucerne.( We will reach Lucerne about 1pm.)

Visit to Lake Lucerne.

Is there anything else I could do on the first day?

Day 2: Visit to Mount Pilatus

Visit to chapel Bridge

Visit to Mount Rigi

Can I do both the Mount on the same day?

Day 3: leave to Venice at 12pm

Could we do any other interesting places?

We wanted to add Jungfraujoch from Lucerne or the Swiss Alp Day trip from Lucerne.

Kindly assist us. Thanking everyone in advance.

Regards,

Anu

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 19:29:35 #884131

Hi Anu and welcome to MySwissAlps!

To know which rail pass is best you’ll need to plan out all your trips here and do the math to compare costs. Our web page “how to chose the best rail pass” will help you with that.

For ideas on what to do in Lucerne click here.

Yes, both Mt. Rigi and Pilatus can be done in one day if you wish. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trips – I’d expect about 2 hours at each mountain top.

Jungfraujoch from Lucerne is 4 hours one-way so I don’t see you having time for that.

Anu
    Participant
    4 posts
    6 May 2018 at 20:14:51 #884132

Thank you, Lucas, for the info.

We will consider the given link. Which Mt will be best to do first? The Rigi or Pilatus? When you say expect 2 hours at each mountain that means it the whole trip?

Then we will Jungfraujoch for next time. 🙂

We will be going in mid-June; how will the weather be? should we pack sweater and fleece clothing? or just summer clothes?

Thank you.

Regards,

Anu

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 2:27:18 #884133

Hi Anu,

I don’t know what the weather will be like when you are there but dress in layers as it could be 5 degrees or 15. I would check the weather that morning before deciding what mountain to go to first (or at all if the weather is bad).

2 hours is often the time spent at the top of the mountain – you must add travel time on to that.

Anu
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 May 2018 at 19:42:51 #884134

Thank you Lucas fro the info.

even in the month of June the weather will be bad to go up the mountains? What other activities do you suggest we can do if we are not able to do mountains? could we the scenic ride instead?

Can i roughly say that my travel time will be 4 hours each mountain?

Thank you.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 May 2018 at 22:39:05 #884135

Are you travelling to Venice by train? If so a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass starts to look attractive. Especially if:

• On day 1 you could combine boat ride to Vitznau and Rigi trip. Come back via Arth-Goldhau by train.
    • On day 2 take free trip to Schilthorn instead of expensive Jungfraujoch trip. See the Jungfrau on the cheap! 😎
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 4:02:33 #884136

You can definitely go up the mountains in June – no problem. The weather may be good or bad. There is no way to know until a day or two before you go. It may well be cold but that doesn’t mean bad!

4 hours including travel to and from the mountain is probably correct. I often say 2 hours at the top plus travel time.

• The thread ‘Which rail pass is best for 3 days near Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.