Which rail route to Wilderswil from Geneva?

• Supersub
    Participant
    3 posts
    13 June 2015 at 21:30:10 #807396

Using our Swiss Transfer Pass can we choose any train route to get to Interlaken and on to Wilderswil or are we obliged to go vis Bern?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 June 2015 at 13:03:34 #843801

Hi Supersub, and welcome!

You need to use the quickest or cheapest route (based on normal point to point tickets). It’s explained on myswissalps.com/swisst ransferticket/howtouse. In your case you indeed need to travel via Bern.

Have a good trip!

Supersub
    Participant
    3 posts
    14 June 2015 at 21:45:50 #843802

Hi Annika

Thanks for the prompt reply. Thought that might be the case but just wanted confirmation. Appreciate that I should have contacted you sooner as we will be transferring from Geneva tomorrow so it will save me chasing around the station at the last minute trying to sort out which train to catch.

May I take this opportunity to say a big, big thankyou to you and Arno and all the other contributors to the forum for all the advice over the last few months. Because of this it not only made our planning of the trip so much easier but the heads up earlier in the year about the planned price increases for the passes certainly saved us quite a bit of money. Money that can now be used to buy the obligatory daily “kuchen treats”!!!

Once we get settled in at Wilderswil I will post further details as to holiday to date (left home last Friday) and planned itinery for the next 13 days just in case you may be able to improve it.

Thanks again

Mike

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 June 2015 at 5:33:10 #843803

Hi Mike,

You’re very welcome, I’m glad we could help! Once you’re back, a short trip report would be wonderful. It’s always interesting to know how things worked out.

travelHNL
    Participant
    4 posts
    15 June 2015 at 20:33:30 #843804

On this note of transfer pass. I have a combi pass, which I purchased from Rail Europe. I believe it needs to be stamped and dated by Swiss Rail personnel. I would prefer to buy a ticket from Como to Chiasso, and then travel on my transfer day from Chiasso to Wengen via Lucerne. I know that I can go through Milan to Spiez and it is shorter. However, I would like to avoid Milan and travel from Chiasso to Wengen via Lucerne. I asked earlier and believe it is possible. It is not the shortest distance, however, as you mentioned in this thread. Can you clarify if this plan will work for me. I plan to have time in Chiasso in order to go into the rail station and stamp pass prior to boarding in Switzerland. Thanks kindly

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 June 2015 at 8:33:34 #843805

Hi travelHNL,

You can fill out Chiasso to Wengen in the timetable. All options presented there are allowed because they’re the quickest way to get there. I just tried and it suggests routes via Milan, but also via Lucerne and via Locarco/Domodossola. The latter is a very scenic, and also by-passing Milan.

Regarding pass validation: if there’s no start date on the pass you should indeed get it validated by rail staff, but there’s no need to get off the train for that. If you board a train in Como that continues to Switzerland you can ask the conductor immediately after boarding. I don’t think the staff in Como can do it, but you can try.

• The thread ‘Which rail route to Wilderswil from Geneva?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.