Which Swiss Travel Pass?

• saigongator
    Participant
    3 posts
    27 March 2015 at 5:59:49 #807024

Two adults traveling from Venice to Lutschental on 15 May.

We will stay in Lutschental for 7 days traveling to Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Murren usually each day and taking alpine trains and lifts.

Heading to Lucerne on 22 & 23 May and most likely exciting Switzerland on 24 May for Germany or France.

Which Swiss Travel Pass is most economical for our travel and is there anyway to receive it electronically as I’d like to book my train trip from Venice to Lutschental? We leave HCMC on 5 April in the evening so just over one week until we depart.

Thanks for your advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 March 2015 at 7:27:35 #842176

Hi saigongator,

To be 100% sure which pass is the cheapest you can follow the explanations here. I would say that an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is the best choice. That may leave you with one day without a rail pass in Lucerne, but there’s plenty to do nearby or in town. You can order the pass and tickets from Venice via raileurope.com.sg. You need a ticket from Venice to Domodossola. From there, the Swiss Travel Pass covers the trip.

If you prefer a printable pass (called ‘Online Ticket’), you can order via the Swiss Railways webshop. They don’t list Vietnam (that’s where you live, right?) as a country in the billing address field, but we have asked them about that before and in case of an Online Ticket you can fill out another country as the pass won’t be physically shipped anyway.

The Rail Europe site is the cheaper way to buy. Should you decide to buy in Switzerland, you’ll pay the same price as in the Swiss Railways webshop. The pass is for sale in Brig, the first town you’ll reach in Switzerland.

I hope this helps!

saigongator
    Participant
    3 posts
    27 March 2015 at 9:55:29 #842177

Hi Annika,

I appreciate your advice as I was torn between the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi for 3 days and the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass, but for 64 swiss francs more the 8-day pass might be the better value.

If I order the pass from raileurope.com.sg, do you have any idea how many days they need for shipping as I am located in HCMC, Vietnam? I couldn’t find the shipping information at the link you sent me. Otherwise, I may just purchase the printable pass or purchase the pass in Brig. Do the trains form Brig to Spiez require a seat reservation?

Thank you for all of your help.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 March 2015 at 14:24:19 #842178

Hi saigongator,

I think it’s like 3 working days, but I would suggest to contact them. Once you’ve ordered you can contact them with your booking number through their contact form, to get details. Alternatively you can get the printable pass. Or get the pass in Brig, but then you don’t have free traveling on the Domodossola – Brig section and you’d have to wait for the next train. In any case you’ll be able to get the pass. Enjoy Switzerland!

saigongator
    Participant
    3 posts
    28 March 2015 at 7:59:32 #842179

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the advice and I have contacted the Rail Europe site in Singapore.

If I get the pass in Brig, I will still need to make a seat reservation for the next train since many of them are coming out of Italy, correct? Can I make the seat reservation in advance without having the Pass that I will purchase in Brig? I just don’t want to get delayed in Brig.

It has been 21 years since my last trip so I can’t wait for the fresh air in Bernese Oberland.

Cam on!

saigongator

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 March 2015 at 9:55:02 #842180

Hi saigongator,

Trains from Brig onwards don’t require reservations. Most trains in Switzerland don’t require them, please see here.

Have a good time in the mountains!

• The thread ‘Which Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.