About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Which trails to see marmots in the Swiss Alps?
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Which trails to see marmots in the Swiss Alps?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Cece wong
Cece wong
8 posts
Aug 23, 2022 - 8:45 AM

Hi guys

We are planning a trip to Swiss in first week of October, and one of our mission is to see the Marmot . As the marmots only awakes during summer. We are wondering if we could see them, if we travel during that period.

We did some research and found "Murmeli Trail on Spielboden" which is the activity arranged by the city of Saas-Fee. They promote that we can see and even feed the Marmots in this trail.

Have anyone has experience in this route ? is it worth to go there just for seeing the Marmot ? Or any other trekking route in Bernese Oberland/ Zermatt area that could give us a chance to see this cute little fur friend

Thank you so much , have a great day

Cece wong

Anna
Anna
3669 posts
expert &
Aug 23, 2022 - 12:25 PM in reply to Cece wong

Hi Cece Wong,

The best time to see the marmots are in the summer between June and September. Not sure you'll see them in October.

I've never been on the Marmot Trail in Saas-Fee so I can't provide any insight. For your information, there is also a Marmot's Trail on Zermatt, specifically on Sunnegga. You can find the details here: www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Mountaineering-climbing-and-hiking/Themed-hiking-trails

Regards,

Anna

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
259 posts
top member
Aug 23, 2022 - 10:20 PM

Hi Cece Wong,

I looked them up and Marmots hibernate from October to April, so it may not be best to plan your trip around seeing them.

Regards

Alan

EASW
EASW
49 posts
Aug 23, 2022 - 10:27 PM in reply to Cece wong

Hi Cece,

My husband and I saw marmots in the Zermatt area on the Rotenboden to Riffelalp trail, especially so near the Riffelberg train station. They’re curious little creatures and fun to watch from a distance.

1960man
1960man
4082 posts
expert
Aug 23, 2022 - 11:37 PM in reply to EASW

There are marmots in the fields just north of Zermatt railway station

Ildiko
Ildiko
2333 posts
top member &
Aug 24, 2022 - 5:53 AM

Hi there,

There is also a marmot trail near Grindelwald First: www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grindelwaldfirst/marmot-trail-and-barbecue-area/ and one near Verbier (canton Wallis): www.verbier.ch/winter/offers/charlotte-the-marmot-bruson-en-winter-2923680/.

Ildiko

MySwissAlps.com recommends reading this: Hiking in the Swiss Alps - practical tips and routes

1960man
1960man
4082 posts
expert
Aug 24, 2022 - 11:03 AM in reply to Cece wong

The best place I have been to in Switzerland for Marmots is the Juf valley due south of Chur in Graubuenden, specifically Juppa and the Val Bergalga. There are marmots literally everywhere all across the valley.

This valley is well worth the effort to get to. It is remote but very beautiful. Juf is the highest permanently inhabited village in Europe. The bus route up the valley also has a claim to fame - it was the last postal service in Switzerland to convert to motorbus operation, having been operated by a horse-drawn vehicle right up to the mid-1950s.

www.viamala.ch/de/aktivitaeten/themenwege/murmeltierlehrpfad-avers

Cece wong
Cece wong
8 posts
Aug 24, 2022 - 2:44 PM

Thank you everyone ! 1960man / Anna / AlanPrice / Ildiko for sharing information.

We have listed down all the routes :)

I think we have to wait and see the weather around that time to see if the Marmots have start their hibernation period or not.

have a great day :D

Cece

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Swiss Travel Pass promotion: 30% discount
Available until 31 October 2022. Book 6 months ahead.
https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/swisstravelpass

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022