Which travel pass for Zurich to Rigi to Basel?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2021 at 17:47:26 #825851

Hi! After much research we don’t think a Swiss Travel Pass works for our needs.

Day 1: Zurich airport to Lucerne

Day 2: weather permitting Mt Rigi

Day 3: train to Basel ( Viking river cruise day )

Should we buy a half fare card? Or pay full price on train from airport to Lucerne and a super saver from Lucerne to Basel?

with the Lucerne Visitor’s Card we might get 20% off the Mt Rigi excursion.

Thanks for all your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

JeremySimons
    Participant
    20 posts
    13 June 2021 at 19:45:49 #935152

Nstpie, I am interested to see what advice you get, since I am in almost the same situation for next summer. Zurich to Lauterbrunnen to Basel over three days with 4 adults and three children, also hoping to go up Schilthorn and visit Murren and Wengen. Same timing, similar cruise. I have concluded that the half fare card for the four adults, plus Saver Day Passes for all three days, is the best option. But I am still not sure.

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 June 2021 at 7:31:37 #935153

Hi Nstpie,

If you have a fixed itinerary and are sure about your travel plans, the point to point tickets are probably the economical option. You probably don’t even need the Swiss Half Fare Card if you travel only between Zurich, Lucerne and Basel and have the Lucerne Visitor Card to cover your local travel.

Do take note that the Supersaver tickets are quite restrictive. It is only valid for the connection you paid for. If you miss your train, you won’t get a refund and you will have to buy a new ticket.

However, if you really need to be sure about the calculations, please use our guide here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Regards,

Anna

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 June 2021 at 7:35:37 #935154

Hi JeremySimons,

You can download our spreadsheet to compare the different combinations of railpasses for your trip.

http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Hope this was helpful.

Regards,

Anna

JeremySimons
    Participant
    20 posts
    14 June 2021 at 11:39:09 #935155

Thank you Anna!

Even though I am not sure of all the details, like what the lift to Schilthorn costs for children without any passes, it seems as though the spreadsheet makes the comparisons fairly clear.

As I understand it, our three day trip in Switzerland will be most expensive if we simply pay full fare for all seven of us. The second most expensive option is to buy three day passes. The two cheapest options are either to just buy half fare cards, or to get half-fare cards plus Saver Day Passes. Those two work out to very similar costs. The Saver Day Passes may be a little more, but they seem to be more convenient than tickets and they give the option in Lauterbrunnen of riding the lifts all day long to Murren, Wengen, or wherever, for no additional cost. Plus they might, I am not sure, help us get to our boat once we arrive in Basel.

Hopefully this will help others!

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 June 2021 at 17:43:51 #935156

Hi JeremySimons,

I agree the Saver Day Passes are practical and convenient. It provides you with unlimited travel for 1 day so you don’t have to worry about getting tickets. If you miss your train you can just get on the next one. If you’re planning to travel extensively between Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Murren in 1 day, I think the Saver Day Pass is definitely a good option. The pass is valid until 5am the next day.

If you book the Saver Day Pass in advance, you might be able to get it for much less than the usual price. You can find more details about how to use the Saver Day Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/howtouse

If your kids are between 6 and 16 years old, you might want to get the Junior Travelcard. This card allows your children to travel on public transport with you for free: http://www.myswissalps.com/juniortravelcard

Regards,

Anna

JeremySimons
    Participant
    20 posts
    14 June 2021 at 18:37:15 #935157

Anna,

Thank you that suggestion. I am confused, though, about the Junior Travel Pass, which is CHA 30. I thought that a Family Pass was free with the Half Fare Card.

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 June 2021 at 6:28:30 #935158

Hi JeremySimons,

Yes, if you have the Swiss Family Card (which comes complimentary with the Swiss Half Fare Card) you don’t need the Junior Travel Card.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Which travel pass for Zurich to Rigi to Basel?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.