Which village & hotel near St. Moritz in January?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2019 at 17:14:07 #823801

Hi,

I am having some difficulty in deciding where to stay in St Moritz. We are a family of 2 adults and 1 Child (4 years old). Planning to visit St Moritz and stay for about 5 to 6 nights, arriving on 19 Jan 2020. Looking at a Budget of CHF 100 per night but seems impossible. Because we will be in Switzerland for approximately 3 weeks, therefore trying to find cheap and good accommodation. I have not started looking at accommodation for the remaining of my trip yet. Trying to settle the accommodation for St Moritz portion before I start looking for accommodation for the 2nd part of my trip (Zermatt). I have checked the prices of hotel and holiday homes/apartments on Agoda, e-domizil etc and they are quite costly.

Activities/places I’m considering are

1. Walk around Lake St Moritz, Ice skate and sledging near some hill

2. Corviglia

3. Val Roseg – Feed birds

4. Watch Snow Polo World Cup

5. Morteratsch Glacier

Villages I am considering as my base are Sils-Maria, Saas-fe, La Punt-Chamues, Zuoz, Pontresina, Samedan, Celerina.

Based on the places to visit, which village should I base myself? Or is there a better option which I have not listed? Consideration : ease of going from place to place, child friendly and cheap accommodation. Would you be able to share which of these village has a similar vibe as Grindelwald (relaxing and we can spend the whole day just walking around the little village and pulling our kid on sledge)?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2019 at 19:25:18 #922000

Hi Micheleang17,

unfortunately St. Moritz is really expensive, that is true. I made a quick search and the cheapest hotels for your family was at least 150 CHF/night for your dates. 🙁

All of them could be good from the list of cities mentioned by you, except Saas-fee (it is not around St. Moritz, it is closer to Zermatt).

We have a few recommendations for nearby villages, if you click on the name of the villages each are pointing to a list of hotels at http://www.myswissalps.com/st moritz/hotels. They are all lovely villages, you will enjoy it, and St. Moritz is close enough so you can do your planned activities.

See also the other labels (What to do & How to travel) at http://www.myswissalps.com/st moritz/ for more information about St. Moritz.

• The thread ‘Which village & hotel near St. Moritz in January?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.