WiFi availability in Jungfrau region

• Turgon
    Participant
    36 posts
    7 June 2022 at 19:38:22 #827444

My hotel has free wifi, which is great. And my US cellular plan (T-Mobile) grants me “unlimited” 2G data and texting. While I’m not planning on livestreaming, or anything that requires high speed, I will want to maybe check on Google Maps or checking a weather forecast while I am out on a trail, etc. So what is the signal coverage like on say, the Murren-to-Gimmelwald trail? Or on the Flower Walk in Allmendhubel? Or while out in Lauterbrunnen, walking towards the Trammelbach Falls, etc? Should I expect strong signals? Dead zones? I’ve already downloaded the map for offline viewing …

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2022 at 20:24:36 #943011

Hi Turgon,

according to my experience, 2G is not even enough to check the map.

I can recommend you the Traveller’s Wifi, you can read about it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/simcard.

You’ll be able to find free internet at the train stations and on long-distance trains, check this how you can use it: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/internet.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Learn more about the Jungfrau region: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion

pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    8 June 2022 at 1:32:16 #943012

My experience is that hotel free WiFi can be poor. Traveller’s Wifi Is great, I kept it attached to a portable battery all inside my backpack on long days hiking or walking about a town, so I could use my cell phone whenever I needed to use various apps, like maps. At night I caught up with news, etc in hotel rooms without relying on the SLOW hotel WiFi.

Turgon
    Participant
    36 posts
    8 June 2022 at 2:01:26 #943013

I don’t really need Traveler’s Wifi, I don’t think. I have the maps already downloaded, and I have a book listing and describing all the trails in the region I’m interested in (I’m only interested in easy walks and hikes, I’m not about to be climbing over rocks and through streams at my age and weight LOL). So checking the map is really just extra, especially since I’m sure I’ll be staying on the marked trails. And I’ll be looking at the weather before I leave for the day. What I probably will be checking while I’m out is the SBB app, too see when thenext train might be, or if the one I’m waiting for is delayed or whatever. And from what I hear of the public transit system, even that’s a bit much, especially if I plan my route before I leave in the morning. I just wait for the next train or bus, supposedly something will come along within an hour or so. LOL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2022 at 7:57:07 #943014

Hi Turgon,

I tried to find information about the 2G signals in Switzerland, and maybe it is not working anymore. I’ve found some news saying that it was switched off in 2020.

Some of the cafes and restaurants also have free wifi for their guests, that might be useful for you too.

Some of the hotels do not have reliable wifi, I’ve experienced that too, it is worth checking the reviews regarding the wifi before you book your room. List of hotels in the Jungfrau region can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/hotels.

Although the Swiss coverage is quite good, there might be smaller areas in the mountains with no signal.

Ildiko

Turgon
    Participant
    36 posts
    8 June 2022 at 12:41:42 #943015

The link above shows the Traveler’s Wifi prices as CHF 99.70 for 14 days. I can get a 15G International Pass on my T-Mobile account (good for 30 days) for $ 50 US. I would do that, rather than pay twice the cost for a hot spot device I have to pick up, remember to bring with me, make sure I give back when I’m done, etc. I can add it to my plan now, specify what day I want it to start, and then cancel the plan after my trip is over.

That makes much more sense for me, I think. Even though my searches say that the 2G speeds were acceptable for using maps, etc, I may just get that add-on.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2022 at 12:54:38 #943016

Hi Turgon,

great, I am happy that you’ve found a solutions.

I wish you a wonderful holiday,

Ildiko

Turgon
    Participant
    36 posts
    8 June 2022 at 13:05:00 #943017

Thanks. I apologize, on re-reading my post, it came across much more harshly than I intended. I do appreciate all the info and help you’ve given.

pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    8 June 2022 at 13:53:28 #943018

No problem, Turgon!

Oh, one point about the Traveller’s WiFi – Multiple people can access it at once. My wife and son connected to my wifi on one trip. At first my son had a SIM card he bought at the airport in France (for business, supposedly) and I tried using his iPhone as a wifi spot. It would work, but only until if didn’t, requiring me to log into it again. This happened enough times that when I picked up my Traveller’s wifi once we were in Switzerland, it was much easier for all of us to use it. And cheaper than each of us getting our own “international” plan or bought sim card. Just a thought.

Turgon
    Participant
    36 posts
    8 June 2022 at 14:45:18 #943019

Hrm. I posted a reply, don’t know where it went ..

Yeah,I thought of that, as my girlfriend’s phone is on my plan. But she’s pretty much expecting me to deal with any technology issues, so .. LOL

And if I have to, I’ll just grumble and add her phone to the same plan. That cost will be about the same as the Travelers WiFi. But at least I won’t have to worry about losing a hotspot, or returning one. And since it’s just the 2 of us, the price won’t get any higher. If there were more people, then the hotspot would make more sense.

Thanks

• The thread ‘WiFi availability in Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.