With Rockoysters help to the Schilthorn ex Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2019 at 21:43:47 #823954

My husband and I (mid 60s) just returned from our trip to Switzerland, Germany, and France. We enjoyed our three week vacation very much. However, we both agree that Switzerland was our favorite and hope to return very soon and stay longer than five days. When planning this trip we decided to use Lucerne as our base for four days. The one excursion we were hoping to do was to Schilthorn. I had planned an itinerary I thought would work. But most people thought we were crazy in trying to attempt this in one day. However, ROCK OYSTER was able to provide me with a few suggestions that made it possible. We were blessed with absolutely gorgeous weather and the Swiss timetable was perfect. I just wanted to say “THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!” to Rock Oyster. You are truly the perfect travel guide.

In case anyone is curious, here is what we did:

Train from Luceren to Lauterbrunnen(7:06-9:25)

Cable car Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp (9:38-9:42)

Train Grutschalp to Murren(9:44-9:58)

Walked from Murren to cable car to Schilthorn We had about 45 minutes to walk around Murren which was plenty of time.

Cable car to Schilthorn (11:10-11:27) We bought a guaranteed ticket for uphill journey to Schilthorn. Worth the 5 CHF pp. (Rock Oyster suggestion) We had an hour to spend outdoors. The paragliders were amazing to watch. There were also several musicians playing which enhanced the whole experience.

We made lunch reservations in advance for the revolving restaurant at 12:30. (Rock Oyster suggestion) We enjoyed the meal and thought it was reasonably priced for what was offered. The views were spectacular on this day and we were fortunate to get a seat by the window as we requested when I made the reservation. We finished up at 1:30 and spent about 30 minutes in the James Bond Museum. We enjoyed watching the film about the making of the film “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.”

Cable Car Schilthorn to Birg (14:03-14:10) Spent about 30 minutes here. We didn’t do the Thrill Walk.

Cable way and Train from Birg to Trummelbach Falls via Murren, Gimmelwald, Stechelberg (14:40-15:17)

Toured Trummelbach Falls for about an hour and enjoyed a beverage before walking back to Lauterbrunnen. On the way to Lauterbrunnen we were able to see another paraglider. It was a lovely walk. We enjoyed a cold beverage and a delicious sandwich before making our way to the rail station for the journey back to Lucerne.

Train from Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne (18:32-20:55

This was a day with an early start and a late ending. However, neither one of us felt overly tired, since the views were amazing as well as the weather. My husband particularly enjoyed this day, since he was able to sit back and enjoy the scenery without having to drive.

Hopefully Rock Oyster will see this post and know that we are so grateful for helping us plan the itinerary for this day. Rock Oyster suggested this route and it worked out perfectly. Thanks again for making this an incredible memory.

(I would have posted our gratitude on the initial thread. But it was from March 2019 and the thread was closed.)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 5:13:06 #922550

Hello Mrschiefpod,

Nice to hear you received exactly the support needed from our expert member Rockoyster!!! I’m sure he will see this post, whereas I believe he’s travelling himself currently, so maybe he won’t react immediately.

Here the link to your original post, for anybody who wants to read it in detail:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/schilthorn-and-lauterbrunnen-day-trip-from-lucerne

Any chance you can share a pic or two (up to 1 MB per post) of your Schilthorn experience?! Only if possible.

Best and kind regards,

Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2019 at 22:39:47 #922551

Here are a few photos from our trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 6:48:32 #922552

Hi Mrschiefopd,

could you please try to upload your photos again? I cannot see any attachments.

Thank you!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 October 2019 at 12:47:14 #922553

Hello Mrschiefopd,

Like Steph said, I have been travelling (still am) and so not following the forums much and have only just seen your post.

Thanks for the feedback and I’m pleased the trip to Schilthorn worked out for you.

• The thread ‘With Rockoysters help to the Schilthorn ex Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.