Working around school holidays in Switzerland

Working around school holidays in Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
BarSal
BarSal
101 posts
Jan 29, 2018 - 8:09 AM

I was about to lock in my three week itinerary in Switzerland when I realised I was taking the Bernina Express to Lugano on the last weekend of the Lugano school summer holidays. Would it be wise to shuffle my time around so that all places are outside of school holidays?

Lucerne and Interlaken have already finished at this time so I could move Lugano - inconvenient but not impossible.

Good idea or over reacting?? (I hate queues and packed venues)

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Jan 29, 2018 - 9:15 AM in reply to BarSal

Hi BarSal,

I believe you don't have to move Lugano. What would be your concern? Lugano too busy?

BarSal
BarSal
101 posts
Jan 29, 2018 - 9:50 AM in reply to Chantal

I thought a lot of people might be coming back into Lugano on that weekend - yes busy. Arrive Saturday.

I just came off a site where top attractions around Munich were so busy during summer last year - queues, overcrowding. In Australia we avoid vacations during school holidays - especially travel on the outgoing and incoming weekend.

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Jan 29, 2018 - 1:21 PM in reply to BarSal

I see. I think Lugano will be fine. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Last modified on Jan 29, 2018 - 1:21 PM by Chantal
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Jan 30, 2018 - 12:44 AM in reply to BarSal

What dates?

Slowpoke

BarSal
BarSal
101 posts
Jan 30, 2018 - 2:16 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Saturday September 1st this year.

Lucas
Lucas
8865 posts
expert &
Jan 31, 2018 - 7:48 AM in reply to BarSal

Yes, a town like Munich is quite busy all summer long. Lugano is quite small by comparison.

Perhaps the trains may be a bit busy that weekend so reserve where possible but I wouldn't be worried about being flooded with people around the city.

BarSal
BarSal
101 posts
Jan 31, 2018 - 11:16 PM in reply to Lucas

Thx Lucas ... as luck would have it I was unable to get the apartment I wanted in Wengen on the dates I wanted, so I moved my schedule to put our week in Wengen first, then over to Chur and onto Lugano. This makes our travel date one week later and school holidays are finished everywhere.

Having paid for our apartment our dates just got a whole lot less flexible! :-)

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018