Working around school holidays in Switzerland

• BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    29 January 2018 at 8:09:21 #814189

I was about to lock in my three week itinerary in Switzerland when I realised I was taking the Bernina Express to Lugano on the last weekend of the Lugano school summer holidays. Would it be wise to shuffle my time around so that all places are outside of school holidays?

Lucerne and Interlaken have already finished at this time so I could move Lugano – inconvenient but not impossible.

Good idea or over reacting?? (I hate queues and packed venues)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 9:15:29 #875356

Hi BarSal,

I believe you don’t have to move Lugano. What would be your concern? Lugano too busy?

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    29 January 2018 at 9:50:52 #875357

I thought a lot of people might be coming back into Lugano on that weekend – yes busy. Arrive Saturday.

I just came off a site where top attractions around Munich were so busy during summer last year – queues, overcrowding. In Australia we avoid vacations during school holidays – especially travel on the outgoing and incoming weekend.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 13:21:21 #875358

I see. I think Lugano will be fine. I wouldn’t be too worried about it.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 January 2018 at 0:44:44 #875359

What dates?

Slowpoke

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    30 January 2018 at 2:16:24 #875360

Saturday September 1st this year.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 7:48:27 #875361

Yes, a town like Munich is quite busy all summer long. Lugano is quite small by comparison.

Perhaps the trains may be a bit busy that weekend so reserve where possible but I wouldn’t be worried about being flooded with people around the city.

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    31 January 2018 at 23:16:09 #875362

Thx Lucas … as luck would have it I was unable to get the apartment I wanted in Wengen on the dates I wanted, so I moved my schedule to put our week in Wengen first, then over to Chur and onto Lugano. This makes our travel date one week later and school holidays are finished everywhere.

Having paid for our apartment our dates just got a whole lot less flexible! 🙂

• The thread ‘Working around school holidays in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.