Check my plan for Jungfrau, Zermatt&scenic trains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 9:01:54 #815266

First, let me say how impressive (and helpful) the website has been. It’s obviously a product of passion.

My compliments!

My plan is as follows, arriving in Zurich on July 17th. I will be traveling on an 8-day Swiss Pass. My main goal now is to nail down my scenic train trip dates so that I can reserve seats early in the 90-day window.

July 18 Zurich – Jungfraujock – Zermatt

July 19 Zermatt all Day

July 20 Zermatt – Glacier Express – St Moritz

July 21 St Moritz – Bernina Express – Tirano – Express Bus – Lugano

July 22 Lugano – Gotthard Express – Lucerne

July 23 Lucerne all Day

July 24 Lucerne to Zurich

1) Overall, what do you think? Does anything stand out as not do-able, too rushed or to slow? Other thoughts or suggestions?

2) For Day 1, what is the suggested routing from Zurich then to to go up to Jungfraujock and come down then travel on to Zermatt. Is it a reasonable plan to get from Zurich to Jungfraujock to Zermatt all in one day while spending several hours at Jungfraujock?

3) What about planning on going to Jungfraujock at this time in July – weatherize that is? I could leave Zurich quite early if that would give me a better chance of clear skies?

4) For each of the scenic trains, Glacier, Bernina and Gotthard, what are the best places to get off for a few hours for lunch – or is that possible on each, or any of these trains – or are they single trains daily that run right through their respective routes?

Thanks Again!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 12:56:49 #881941

Hi Russelzone and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Well they are pretty busy days but nothing too bad – personal preference on whether it is too much or not. Be sure to use the Swiss Railways Timetable to plan out the trips and see the travel times.
    2. Yes, this is a very long day. The timetable will give you details but you are looking at about 8 hours on a train plus time at the top of Jungfraujoch.
    3. No way to know about the weather until at least the day before you want to go – then check the weather – don’t bother going if it looks too cloudy!
    4. There are stops available but reservations are mandatory and if you get off the train and get back on later you will have to make separate reservations. Our information pages for the scenic trains here, has details on reservations (under the packages tab).
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 0:31:53 #881942

Itin looks OK to me but ZRH – Zermatt via Jungfraujoch would be long!

I’m not sure you need ‘several hours’ at Jungfraujoch. Around 2 hours may be enough.

You won’t get much more time anyway.

The quickest Zurich – Zermatt journey I could find was 10 hours 42 minutes – and 11 changes of train… – , with an 06.32 start from Zurich, 2 hours at Jungfraujoch and arrive Zermatt 17.14

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2018 at 0:36:48 #881943

11 changes of train! At least it goes up via Wengen and down via Grindelwald.

• The thread ‘Check my plan for Jungfrau, Zermatt&scenic trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.