Zermatt – Höhbalmen hike: which route?

• sdaclark
    Participant
    6 posts
    26 July 2021 at 14:49:37 #825970

I have read that the hike up to Hohbalmen and, in particular, the viewpoint, is superb. One suggested route I have read is the trail that goes up from Zermatt to Trift and doing the complete loop from there along the Hohbalmen and ultimately to the Schonbielhutte and then down via Zmutt back to Zermatt. One other suggested route to Schonbielhutte has the route going up the lift to Schwarzee and then through the valley up to the same cut off as if you had come across the Hohbalmen.

Looking for thoughts on the difference between the two and recommended route. I ask because I am trying to figure out if the lift up to Schwarzee helps with the elevation gain and is easier than going up via Trift.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    26 July 2021 at 18:53:46 #935863

Hi sdaclark,

I have no experience with either trails so can’t provide you with any personal tips.

But this link might help: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/Planning-hikes-tours/Edelweiss-Trail-Hoehbalmen-Nr.-30 and you can check the routes on this map. http://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Mountaineering-climbing-and-hiking/Hiking-map

Looking at the map, I think it may be possible to take the lift to Schwarzsee and make you way to Höhbalmen from there. Perhaps it’s best to contact a local guide in Zermatt for clarification. You can find more details about Zermatt here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zermatt (scroll down for the official website and contact info).

Regards,

Anna

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    28 July 2021 at 19:26:17 #935864

Hi Sdaclark,

The elevation of Zermatt is 1600 m above sea level. Höhbalmen is 2600 m. Schwarzsee is also 2600. To hike from Schwarzse to Höhbalmen you first have to go down to 2200 m, but still, the effort is less than hiking up the 1000m elevation difference from Zermatt, and it might be more scenic, too.

If your goal is Höhbalmen there is no point in going to Schönbielhütte.

Snowman

sdaclark
    Participant
    6 posts
    28 July 2021 at 19:48:32 #935865

Thank-you. The elevation information you provided is exactly what I have been trying to determine. My goal is the viewpoint on the Höhbalmen and not necessarily Schönbielhütte. I think your comment that you go down from the 2600 m at Schwarzee and then back up 400 m to the Höhbalmen trail is interesting and that it what I suspected – the net difference of 400 m is a lot better than the additional 1000 m from Zermatt up to the Höhbalmen trail.

I appreciate the comment that it may be prettier too. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t missing the point given that almost all the descriptions, including the one suggested by your colleague, take you through Thrift. Don’t want to be lazy – if the Thrift hike is the better option I would do it. It is just that my reading on the hike to Schönbielhütte showed this other alternative.

Would appreciate any final thoughts from you on this and which would you recommend.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    28 July 2021 at 20:39:58 #935866

Well, once you have resched Höhbalmen coming from Schwarzsee you could go back down to Zermatt via Trift if you want. There is a shorter way down though.

Although I have hiked in the Zermatt area I dont know that particular itinerary, I based my comments on a map analysis.

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    1 August 2021 at 4:55:22 #935867

I have done the hike from Zermatt to Trift, with an overnight at Hotel du Trift, and then continued on up to the Hohbalmen the next day. Traveling from that direction, and assuming you have a clear day, you will have a great view of the Matterhorn as you hike the Hohbalmen. Coming from the other direction, the Matterhorn would be behind you. As you descend from the Hohbalmen at the far end, there is a turn to the right toward the Schonbielhutte. I have always turned left and hiked to Zmutt for lunch and then on to Zermatt. One of my favorite circuits. I have also hiked the longer way through Stafelalp one year when there were signs posted about falling rock and part of my usual route was closed.

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    1 August 2021 at 5:02:59 #935868

Two more photos from the Hohbalmen: the great view of the Matterhorn and looking back down at the Hotel du Trift.

sdaclark
    Participant
    6 posts
    1 August 2021 at 14:52:50 #935869

Perfect. Thank-you. I suspected what you point out – the Matterhorn is in front of you going via Trift. Great photos – thanks, again.

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    1 August 2021 at 15:00:00 #935870

You’re most welcome. I hope you have great weather when you go.

• The thread ‘Zermatt – Höhbalmen hike: which route?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.