Golden Pass line from Zermatt to Geneva

Golden Pass line from Zermatt to Geneva

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
4orgam
4orgam
12 posts
Dec 21, 2017 - 1:58 AM

Hi I am traveling from Zermatt to Geneva on August 2nd. I want to take the Golden Pass Line, what would be the best route?

Thank you,

rockoyster
rockoyster
3374 posts
expert
Dec 21, 2017 - 4:57 AM in reply to 4orgam

Hello Susan,

The Golden Pass Line (www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) doesn't actually run between Geneva and Zermatt. It runs between Montreux and Lucerne (or vice versa).

From Zermatt you can take a train to Spiez to connect with the Golden Pass Line and follow the Spiez to Zweisimmen and Zweisimmen to Montreux legs of the route but it is definately not the most direct way to travel between Zermatt and Geneva. You can use the Swiss Railway timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to compare the time it will take going to Geneva via Visp and Montreux compared to via Spiez, Zweisimmen and Montreux.

Last modified on Dec 21, 2017 - 5:05 AM by rockoyster
4orgam
4orgam
12 posts
Dec 21, 2017 - 4:07 PM

I certainly agree with you rockoyster. I will take you suggestions and see what works best.

Thank you

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2124 posts
top member
Dec 22, 2017 - 1:02 AM in reply to 4orgam

The following maps, showing both routes, might assist.

While the distance on the map might not look all that different at a glance, the Golden Pass route goes through the mountains and takes around 6 hours. The standard route mostly goes along valley floors and takes about 3.5 hours.

Alpenrose

Please login to see the attached documents
Gladysknight
Gladysknight
11 posts
Dec 22, 2017 - 8:58 AM

Hello. I can understand why you would like to use the Golden Pass line as it is so well advertised and undeniably beautiful, but I should like to add that the route via Visp and Montreux is pretty good, too! You have wonderful views of the south -facing slopes and vineyards and the section along Lake Geneva is lovely. I hope you enjoy your journey whichever route you choose.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4486 posts
expert
Dec 24, 2017 - 2:18 AM in reply to Alpenrose666

Hi Alpenrose

<<"The following maps, showing both routes, might assist.">>

Nice maps. How did you generate them? Using the route maps in the timetable? Or, otherwise?

TIA,

Slowpoke.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2124 posts
top member
Dec 24, 2017 - 6:04 AM in reply to Slowpoke

>> Nice maps. How did you generate them? Using the route maps in the timetable?

Yes, within the SBB timetable.

Alpenrose

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018