Zermatt to Matterhorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2015 at 14:03:37 #807327

Our base is going to be Grindelwald. We will go to Zermatt . If time and weather permits we will try a trip to Matterhorn. Please guide how to go to Matterhorn from Zermatt and return the same evening.

Parimalj

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    31 May 2015 at 18:58:38 #843563

Hello parimalj,

Do I understand correctly you want to leave Grindelwald in the morning and return there in the evening? In that case you will have a very long day! Or do you want to do the trip to Matterhorn during a stay in Zermatt? For all necessary connections see the timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

You cannot actually visit the Matterhorn itself. For beautiful trips near Matterhorn see: http://www.myswissalps.com/go rnergrat and for links about the Matterhorn region http://www.myswissalps.com/se arch?q=Matterhorn. From experience I can tell you a visit to Gornergrat is very impressive if weather conditions are right. If you want to go to the Gornergrat, you’ll find the station of the Gornergratbahn right opposite the main railway station in Zermatt.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2015 at 1:05:32 #843564

Yes, you have understood it correctly. We have planned to leave Grindelwald early morning and return same day evening ( may be little late). Is excursion to MAtterhorn is feasible ( of course weather permitting)? We do understand it will be long day.

Parimalj

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    1 June 2015 at 7:44:28 #843565

Yes, it is feasable! Depending on the connections you choose it will take you about 3 or 4 hours to travel between Grindelwald and Zermatt. 3 Hours if you choose the direct and fast route between Spiez and Visp and 4 hours if you travel via Brig and Kandersteg. If you can spare the time I would suggest you take this longer route via Kandersteg at least once, because it is very scenic. You will probably have some hours to spend in the Zermatt/Matterhorn region.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 June 2015 at 12:43:57 #843566

<<“4 hours if you travel via Brig and Kandersteg.”>>

I can support that. I love that ride. The train ride up through the Kandertal is beatiful and interesting, and the ride down the side of the Rhone Valley after you come out of the tunnel at Goppenstein is particularly nice from Hohtenn ( the next station) onward to Brig.

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Matterhorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.