Zermatt to Venice via Glacial Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2016 at 20:16:31 #809831

Hi,

I’m planning a trip for mid September where I would train from Paris to Zermatt and spend 2-3 days there to see the Matterhorn. I’d like to ride as much of the Glacial Express as I can but need to ultimately end up in Venice. It seems to me that beyond Andermatt I’d have to backtrack to find my way to Venice. Is this correct?

thanks for the help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 August 2016 at 10:45:27 #854910

Welcome to MySwissAlps Rythmos!

A scenic route would be Zermatt to St. Moritz by the Glacier Express, then the next day the Bernina route to Tirano, and proceed by Italian trains to Venice. The timetable provides all schedules.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2016 at 19:29:26 #854911

Hi Arno,

Thanks for pointing out the Bernina route. I’m surprised that the GEX doesn’t just go to Tirano… I was also able to find the italian rail schedules for Tirano to Venice.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 August 2016 at 8:22:15 #854912

Hi Rythmos,

All schedules, for Italy as well, are in the timetable I referred to in my previous post. If you need tickets you can find them here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2016 at 20:12:26 #854913

Thanks Arno.

To confirm, if I got a Eurail pass for 3 countries including Switzerland, I don’t need a Swiss travel pass?

Also, this Eurail pass is for transit between cities but not inter-city metro’s?

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 August 2016 at 8:33:37 #854914

Hi Rythmos,

Indeed you do not need both. It’s a matter of picking the best one for your plans. Eurail passes do not include transport within cities, buses, and limited mountain transport. Most Swiss towns are small enough to get around on foot. You can compare the coverage maps here:

If you want you can compare your options in detail as explained here.

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Venice via Glacial Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.