Zurich & nice small town in late April – 6 days

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 March 2018 at 23:37:51 #878997

Via Meiringen takes you on the Golden Pass route Lucerne to Interlaken Ost. That is the Luzern – Interlaken Express but at the time of year you are travelling there is a bus detour for about 20 minutes due to construction work on the line. It’s the most scenic route to get to Spiez. You will have to change at Interlaken Ost. From there choose Interlaken Ost to Zermatt via Kandersteg you will get the scenic route I mentioned earlier. Or just look up Luzern to Zermatt via Meiringen and Kandersteg to get the fastest connections. Though you might want to hop off ay Interlaken or Spiez for lunch or something.

If you want to avoid the bus detour (I wouldn’t) just search Luzern to Zermatt via Kandersteg and you should end up being routed via Bern instead of Interlaken.

Reservations really aren’t necessary especially in April.

If you are super keen to make reservations you can do so at http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/adw.do?sprache=en&artikelnumm er=1993

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 0:09:56 #878998

Rockoyster,

I believe after all of the comments that I should take your advice! After using the timetable and choosing via Meringen and Kandersteg I see the following – does this look correct?

Luzern

dep10:0612IR 72920InterRegio

Richtung: Horw

LUZERN-INTERLAKEN EXPRESS

Horw

arr10:091

Horw

dep10:11NFB 1411Low-floor bus

Richtung: Giswil

BE

Giswil

arr10:36

Between Hergiswil and Giswil, no train services are operating.

Trains IR are cancelled between Horw and Giswil.

Replacement bus services are operating Horw NONSTOP Giswil.

Departure of the buses Horw: Bahnhofplatz

Duration from 03.04.2018 02:00 until 30.04.2018 04:00.

Giswil

dep10:383IR 2920InterRegio

Richtung: Interlaken Ost

PA

LUZERN-INTERLAKEN EXPRESS

Interlaken Ost

arr11:554

Interlaken Ost

dep12:007EC 6EuroCity

Richtung: Hamburg-Altona

Spiez

arr12:212

Spiez

dep13:123RE 4271RegioExpress

Richtung: Brig

BK

LÖTSCHBERGER

Brig

arr14:208

Brig Bahnhofplatz

dep14:2714R 343Regio

Richtung: Zermatt

Zermatt

arr15:515

Duration: 5 h 45 min

Finally, if we were to stop along the way for lunch – which town would you choose after having been in Luzern and about to stay in Zermatt?

Many, many thanks!

Derek

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 0:24:11 #878999

Hi derek,

Yes that looks correct. You have struck a time when there is construction on the Luzern – Interlaken Express route – hence th bus detoure. Not to worry – I hear it’s a very nice big bus.

Given your timing it looks like Interlaken for lunch. The Hotel du Lac right next to Interlakn Ost staaion has a nice waterfront restaurant or on the other side of the station there is a large COOP with a restaurant upstairs.

Happy travels.

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Zurich & nice small town in late April – 6 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.