Zurich to Betten on Xmas day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2010 at 1:56:58 #804056

Hi there,

I’m heading to Switzerland for the first time in December for 3 weeks of skiing in the Aletsch region (I can’t wait).

My partner and I have purchased a 4-day Swiss Flexi Pass so we can do some sightseeing on our way back to Zurich.

We want to travel on the morning of Xmas day from Zurich to the Betten Talstation (departing 07:10). We’re having trouble trying to make reservations for our seats. Using the Rail Europe site it looked like we could book the Zurich – Visp leg of the journey but not Visp – Betten.

Is this leg of our trip typically very busy at this time? Could it be booked out? Or can this trip not be reserved?

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    David

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    27 November 2010 at 11:08:59 #831971

Hello David, and welcome to the forum! It’s correct that seats can be reserved for the first part of this train trip, but not for the last part. This is because an InterCity train runs between Zurich and Brig. Seats can be reserved here, but it’t not obligatory. A smaller regional train takes care of the transportation between Brig and Betten. Seat reservation isn’t possible for such smaller, local trains. This can be checked in the Swiss timetable. Connections for which seat reservation is possible are indicated by an ‘R’, connections for which seat reservation is obligatory are indicated with an ‘R’ in a rectangle. Please refer to the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) website for further explanation. I’m not sure whether the train between Brig and Betten will be that full. Even in summer high season it’s quite doable, but I don’t have experience with this route on Christmas day.

You can arrange for your seat reservation through RailEurope or through the Swiss timetable. Enter your connection, fill out the right date, click ‘Search’ and pick your preferred connection. Then click ‘Fare/Buy’ and follow the instructions in the ordering process.

Good luck with your further preparations, and have a great stay in Switzerland!

• The thread ‘Zurich to Betten on Xmas day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.