Zurich-Zermatt reservation with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 17:10:06 #825180

Hi – I have bought an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass for myself and family (self, wife, 2 kids). I have the PDF copy of the passes. I am traveling Zurich Airport to Zermatt on 10th April. Due to Easter weekend, I’m advised to reserve seats since there could be crowds. When I use SBB for reservation, I am charged €15. Zero for myself, €5 for my wife, son and daughter. (I realize reservation is not mandatory).

Can someone help me understand the rationale behind this fare?? Why €15? All of us have the Swiss Travel Pass but sbb is not allowing me to enter that information anywhere. The options on the site allow you to select several discount options (Half Fare, GA, …. ) but doesn’t talk about “Swiss Travel Pass” in any option. Appreciate any insight or help.

Thanks for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 February 2020 at 17:20:06 #929938

Hi Mogambo,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! You should be charged CHF 5 per seat, not € 5. I’m not sure why your reservation would be free, but I saw the same thing when I tried to book for 4 passengers: CHF 15 instead of CHF 20.

The SBB website is geared to Swiss residents. The Swiss Travel Pass is a tourist pass. Very few travelers with a Swiss Travel Pass order reservations (apart from the few panoramic trains), so that’s probably why they don’t display it. If you want to reserve seats, which is indeed not required, then you can select GA, which is sort of the equivalent to the Swiss Travel Pass for residents.

Note that a reservation will probably only be valid until Visp (end of the main line).

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 18:40:33 #929939

Thank you @Arno – you have been most helpful. I suspect my son is below some age criteria so he gets a free reservation. I would normally not reserve – doing so only because I’ve been told it would be very crowded because of the Easter weekend. And yes – reservation is until Visp, where I would change trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 18:50:16 #929940

Hello Mogambo,

You can use below link (from the SBB) to make seat reservations for the journey you mention:
    http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/b2c/adw.do?sprache=en&artikelnummer=1993

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2020 at 0:42:56 #929941

Personally I wouldn’t reserve.

I have never reserved a Swiss trains seat in 59 years of travel – even at the busiest times. I’ve rarely seen even family groups reserve in advance and I rarely if ever see anyone having a problem with finding seats.

One point to consider when choosing whether to reserve or not is that if you board a route IC8 train at Zurich Flughafen, it is fairly likely that the train will not be full at that point, and also that the passengers already on board may get off at the next stop (Zurich HB) so there is a good chance of sufficient vacant seats based on those two scenarios.

• The thread ‘Zurich-Zermatt reservation with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.