How to get there & route details
How to travel to Locarno, and walking route details.
How to get there and back
The train is the best way to travel to Locarno. This walk starts at the train station. Please find more details here.
Section 1: the town center
You can find the route on the map on this page. We offer detailed street by street directions as well:
- Exit the train station and follow the Via della Stazione towards the town center (to the south).
- You'll cross a bridge over a canal and pass the funicular station (to Madonna del Sasso) on your right. Now turn right into the shopping street Via alla Ramogna.
- Keep walking straight ahead until you reach the curved square (Piazza Grande).
- On the opposite side of the square, take the narrow alley Via Panigari up until you reach the Via Cittadella.
- Turn left into the Via Cittadella. Then, at a small square, turn right into the Via Sant' Antonio.
- You'll now reach the church square (Piazza Sant' Antonio). Cross it and turn left into the Via Borghese.
- With the Sant’Antonio Abate church on your left, turn left into the Via Luigi Appiani, then left into the Vicolo Collegiata. You've now walked almost completely around the church. Turn right into the Vicolo Ospedale.
- You've reached the hospital. Turn left into the Via Castelrotto, then right into the Via dell' Ospedale.
- At the end of the street you'll see the Francesco church (Chiesa di S. Francesco) on your right and the 12th century Visconteo castle (Castello Visconteo) on your left. Follow the Via Ripa Canono towards the castle.
- Take the path down along the castle walls until you've reached the main road Via Bernardino Luini.
Section 2: the Camellia Park and Lake Maggiore
- You'll now cross a less attractive newer part of Locarno in order to reach the Camellia Park. Turn left and follow the Via Bernardino Luini.
- After about 400 m, turn right into the Via della Pace. Cross the roundabout (Piazza Giovanni Pedrazinni) and continue on the Via della Pace.
- You have now reached a small forest/park. Turn left into the Via Francesco Ballerini and then right into the park (see the map). After about 250 m, at the other end of the park, cross the Viale dell' Isolino and turn right into the Viale Al Lido.
- Keep walking straight ahead for about 750 m until you see the Camellia Park (Parco delle Camelie) on your left.
- After your visit, walk back the way you came from. Optionally you can take a loop in the small park on your right (see the map).
- Keep walking straight ahead until you reach the small park Giardini Jean Arp on Lake Maggiore. Follow the path along the lake, the marina and the Lake Maggiore boat docks for about 1 km.
- Turn left into the Via Scazziga. You'll reach the train station after 200 m.