How to get there & route details
How to travel to Lugano and back from Gandria, and hiking route details.
How to get there and back
Lugano can best be reached by train, please see here. From Gandria, you can best travel back by boat (most scenic option), or by bus.
Be sure to look into passes that may come in handy for this day trip and your other activities in Switzerland.
From the Lugano train station to Cassarate
You can find the route on the map on this page. We offer detailed street by street directions as well:
- Exit the station by taking the stairs down to the city from the station hall. Alternatively you can take the funicular.
- Walk down through the Via Cattedrale. Cross the square (Piazza Cioccaro), and turn right into Via Pessina.
- At the end of the street, turn left into Via Nassa. Cross the square (Piazza Riforma) and walk straight ahead into the Via Canova.
- With a small park on your left, cross the street to enter a bigger park, the Parco Ciani.
- Follow the path in the park until you can turn right onto the bridge crossing the canal (see the map).
- Walk straight ahead on Viale Castagnola for about 650. Go left into the small street Via Funicolare, with a small park and a little ancient church on the left.
- Turn left after the church, then immediately right up the stairs into the Salita Vallée to continue the hike. Alternatively, you can board the funiluar for a visit to Monte Brè.
From Cassarate to Gandria
- Follow the footpath until you reach the street in the village of Castagnola.
- Follow this street (Via S. Giorgio) for about 200 m, then turn right into the narrow street Salita degli Olivi going down the hill. Alternatively there is a path going up the hill, which leads to Gandria too, but takes much more time. Do not take this path if you want to stick to the suggested route.
- Cross the street and continue on the Salita degli Olivi to reach the small square Piazza Carlo Cattaneo.
- Enter the Via Giacomo Discepoli and follow it for about 250 m. Then turn right into the Viottolo delle Agavi, which will take you to a parking lot on Lake Lugano.
- Follow the path (Sentiero di Gandria) along Lake Lugano, until you reach the town of Gandria.
- Take some time to explore the narrow streets before taking the boat or bus back.
Find train, bus and boat schedules. The name of the boat terminal is 'Gandria (lago)'. The name of the bus stop is 'Gandria, Paese'.
Plan your trip
Download the coordinates here (KML file)