Glacier Express 2nd class vs normal 1st class

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 18:47:17 #813217

Hi, i am travelling on 14th sep from st. Moritz to Zermatt.

I have 2nd class STP.

I wanted to travel by 1st class on GEX with upgrade but its full.

If i consider travelling by 2nd class i have two aisle seats facing eachother , which is not that bad for a couple.But ny concern is are those seats really that comfortable for an 8 hour journey? If its not then is the scenery really worth seating uncomfortably for 8 hours?

So i am also thinking about buying an upgrade for 1 st class for a day which is for 38 CHF per person and travel by 1st class in normal train, only issue is we have to change trains 3-4 times but the journey takes 1 hour less than GEX. Worst case i can ship my large suitecase for 20 CHF i guess and travel.

Please suggest.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rwhcpa
    Participant
    1 post
    8 September 2017 at 0:02:47 #869621

We almost always get first class tickets. They are usually reasonable and it is nice to enjoy the ride without feeling cramped. Depends on your budget, but if you have the money, it’s nice to ride in the nicer seats. There is also much more room for luggage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 0:43:07 #869622

>> If i consider travelling by 2nd class i have two aisle seats facing eachother , which is not that bad for a couple.But ny concern is are those seats really that comfortable for an 8 hour journey? If its not then is the scenery really worth seating uncomfortably for 8 hours?

The Glacier Express is a special experience, so if it were me, I would book the second class Glacier Express seats, rather than travel first class on normal trains. You can read a description of first class v. second class travel (and see photos of 1st and 2nd class Glacier Express seats) on the following website:

http://www.seat61.com/Glacier Express.htm

I have also attached some photos of the first-class carriage of the normal train of the Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn that travels along the Glacier Express route between Zermatt and Disentis/Mustér. I don’t seem to have any photos of the interior or exterior of the first-class carriages of the Rhätische Bahn trains that travel the route between Disentis/Mustér and St Moritz.

If you take normal trains, you will need to bring your own food, as there is no catering service. There is on-board catering on the Glacier Express, but you can also bring your own food if you prefer.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 2:55:55 #869623

Thabks for the reply guys.suppose i get the reservations for 1st class but i have 2nd class stp.then how to upgrade to firstclass?what i read was to pay half the diff between 1st and 2nd class fares. Thats is 269-153/2 which comes to 58chf.

Another thing i saw on sbb website is pass upgrade for a day but that was just for 38 chf. Can you please explain if my understanding is correct about this and the pass upgrade

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 14:00:16 #869624

You are correct on the pricing upgrade for 2nd class to 1st class with the Swiss Travel Pass.

The day upgrade applies to people with a regular ticket or day pass (and not a Swiss Travel Pass or other rail pass).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 3:54:53 #869625

Thanks guys. and great news …1st class reservations are available, my only concern is if i reserve it right now then do they give me print at home type of reservation or they ship it to my mailing address?

Also saw that there is some problem with registration to their website, so unfortunately if i pay for the reservations and i do not get the copy of it on my email address(Provided they send the print at home version) then can i collect the reservation from any train station showing my passport a an identity?

Please help..

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 September 2017 at 4:03:20 #869626

I made reservations at shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en and got an email with confirmation almost straight away. I printed the confirmation document and showed it on the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 4:45:39 #869627

Thanks guys for your help….Excited to travel on 11th

• The thread ‘Glacier Express 2nd class vs normal 1st class’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.