What is the Swiss motorway vignette?
The motorway vignette is required to use the motorways in Switzerland. It's a sticker you need to apply on the inside of the windshield of your car.
The price of the Swiss motorway vignette is CHF 40, excluding shipping.
Do I need a vignette?
- If you use the Swiss motorways, even if it's only for a short stretch, you need a vignette. Avoiding all motorways is possible for most trips, but time consuming.
- Swiss rental cars have a vignette, so you don't need to buy one.
- You need to buy a motorway vignette for motorcycles, trailers and caravans using motorways as well.
How should I use the vignette?
The vignette must be applied to the inside of your windshield according to the enclosed instructions, before you cross the Swiss border.
The motorway vignette is not valid if you leave it on the dashboard or if you use tape to apply it. You risk paying a fine and having to purchase a valid vignette if you haven't applied it properly. It is not allowed to use the vignette on another vehicle when you're done traveling.
The vignette is valid for a calendar year, regardless of when you purchase it. You may use it for 14 months: from December 1 of the previous year to January 31 of the next year. There are no daily, weekly or monthly vignettes.
HOLIDAY HOMES WITH PARKING
Not all holidays homes have parking at the residence. Find the ones that have here.
Powered by Interhome.com
Do I need more than a vignette?
Yes, in most cases you do need more than a vignette. Many areas, including all mountain tops, can not be reached by car. A rail pass provides free or discounted trips by cable car, boat, trains, funiculars, etc. Without a pass, you would pay the full fare, which can be pretty expensive.
The Swiss Half Fare Card is a popular pass for drivers, but there are more options. Also, note that the vignette covers motorways, but that tolls are collected separately for a few roads and tunnels.
Do I have to pay any additional tolls on top of the vignette?
The Swiss motorway vignette covers nearly all Swiss roads. In a few exceptional cases you’ll have to pay an additional amount. This goes for:
- car trains;
- these tunnels between Switzerland and Italy: the San Bernadino tunnel and the Munt la Schera tunnel at Livigno;
- some car ferries, such as the one between Horgen and Meilen on Lake Zurich, and the one between Gersau and Beckenried on Lake Lucerne;
- a few private roads and smaller roads, such as the one from Kandersteg to the Gastern valley, and the Oberaar panorama road at the Grimsel pass.
Where can I buy the vignette?
The Swiss motorway vignette can be purchased online. This will save time, as you can cross the border using the fast lane. You don't have to wait for people purchasing their vignette at the border.
Other purchase options are available at the border (pick the lane for cars without a vignette) and at gas stations near the border in the surrounding countries.
Coronavirus help center
Our tips to plan and cancel trips to Switzerland in the coronavirus era.