Apartments, holiday homes and chalets
Self catering can be a cheaper alternative to a hotel. You'll be more flexible without fixed times for breakfast and dinner. Also there's more space than in a hotel room. Renting an apartment, home or chalet is very common in Switzerland, and the number of available properties is huge.
Practical must knows
- The standard renting period is Saturday to Saturday. Sometimes it's possible to rent by the day (mostly with a minimum of a few days).
- Catering is not included, although there are exceptions to this rule. This is where you save most, as you can cook your own meals instead of going out for dinner.
- You are usually expected to do your own laundry. In apartment buildings, there often is a shared washing machine in the basement. In order to use the machine, you need to register for the date and time you wish to use it. Instructions are in the apartment.
- You're expected to separate waste, more so than in a hotel. This helps to save energy and protect the Alps.
- You'll be charged for a final cleaning, so short stays are relatively more expensive.