3days trip-Interlaken/Lucerne (1711/13-2011/13)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2013 at 20:55:18 #806132

Hi, We have 12 of us from Malaysia (Age between 29 to 43) and will landed Paris (7am-17/11/13).

17/11/13 – Expected reach SPIEZ at 5pm and proceed to Interlaken by evening train (overnight at Interlaken)

18/11/13 – Daytrip from Interlaken to Jugfrau (Top of Europe) (Overnight Interlaken)
    (If the weather not allow then we will go Lucern by golden pass train for day trip at Lucern)

19/11/13 – Daytrip to Lucern from Interlaken, If have time will go to Bern as well
    (If 18/11 we not go Jungfrau, then today we will go. If both day also not good weather, then we will proceed to SPEIZ for day trip)

20/11/13 – Morning proceed to Milan

please advise for the above itinery

1.Is it advisable to stay at interlaken for 3night? we can travel around BERN, SPIEZ AND LUCERN Since distance is abt 30 min to 2 hours , coz we don need to pack and unpack the luggage by change Hostel.

2. Which swiss pass is suitable for us to buy? How much?

3.For golden pass line from interlaken to Lucern, shall we book the ticket in advance ?

Seem like our time to Interlaken is not very good and low season, but we hope that we can make good arrangement and have fun on this trip.

Please advise. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 July 2013 at 2:04:33 #839116

Hi fishthye78,

It looks like you prepared for your trip very well! As for your questions:

1. Yes, Interlaken is centrally located and thus a convenient place if you consider to visit not only the Bernese Oberland, but Lucerne and Bern as well. You can find hotel suggestions here.

2. A 4-day Swiss Saver Pass would be the best option in my opinion. It will get you free traveling almost everywhere, so you don’t need tickets expect for mountain trips such as the Jungfrau (which will be discounted with the pass). Since everything is included you’ll be flexible without spending more money. For example, if the weather is nice in Lucerne you could decide to do a trip up the Rigi instead of going to Bern. That trip is included also.

Pass prices in SGD can be found here. Further information is on the Swiss Pass page.

If you have a Swiss Pass, the trip from Paris to Interlaken will be free from Basel. You only need a ticket from Paris to Basel, which you can find here on the same website that is selling the pass. You can book these tickets up to 3 months before traveling (so, from August 17). I would advice to book as early as possible. Likewise, your outward trip is free to Domodossola. From there on, you need tickets to Milan, which can be found here.

3. You can just board the train with your pass, nothing else is needed. See here for more about seat reservations.

November is indeed not high season, but if the weather is good it’s a beautiful season to explore the mountains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2013 at 4:52:08 #839117

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your reply and information.:-)

TQ for your advise on the train to basel instead of speiz, this help us to save expenses.

[u]TRAIN [/u]
    FROM Paris to Interlaken (Paris – Basel – Interlaken OST)
    FROM Interlaken OST to Milan ( OST – Spiez – Brig – Milan)

1.The train price from Interlaken to Brig also is free with swiss pass and then we shall only pay for the train fee from brig to Milano, right?
    2. Due to we are travel with big suitcase, will it be difficult for us to travel by train which need to change a few train as above when from point to point?

Need your advise. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2013 at 5:47:43 #839118

Hi Arno,
    Further more, So by using Swisspass and as per our itinary, we don need to do any reservation for train while we at switzhland, right?
    But for the train from PAris to Basel and Brig to Milan, shall we book in advance or just walk in? (We are not buying Euro pass, but we will travel at Italy for 6 days and fly back to Paris from Naple/Rome and stay another 3 day at Paris, then only fly back to Malaysia). Please advise us.
    Thanks. 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 July 2013 at 8:21:57 #839119

Hi fishthye78,

1. It’s free even further, to Domodossola, see my previous reply. Also you can can download the map from our Swiss Pass page to see where it is valid in detail.
    2. All trains have space for luggage either near the seats or at the end of each car, or both. First class traveling has more space for luggage and passengers than second class, but it should not be a problem in either case.

You don’t need to book Swiss trains in advance. Your pass is sufficient. Only some panoramic trains and some international trains require reservations. As explained on the page I linked to, the Swiss timetable shows whether seat reservations are obligatory for your particular train. In your case you need them for Paris – Basel and perhaps for the trip to Milan as well, depending on which train you pick. That’s why you should book those tickets well in advance. The seat reservation will be included with the ticket. Just follow the links I provided.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2013 at 22:41:49 #839120

Hi Thank for your info.
    I also hav a group of friend will visit Switzerland on mid of Sept 2013, they will travel from Italy (14 persons of them). They will come from Venice to Interlaken. So may i know that can they purchase the swiss pass at Domodossola? If can, i might ask them to buy the swiss pass for us since our group is travel on Nov 2013. by the way, did the counter accept credit card? If Domodossola not selling swiss pass, which station will have ? Please advise. Thanks for your advise.

Good day to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2013 at 22:56:28 #839121

Hi,

Actually they will go to Rome, Florence, Milan and Venice. Can they get the swiss pass at Venezia S. Lucia or Paris Airport CDG? They hope that can get the swiss pass early. Please advise. TQVM.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2013 at 0:48:32 #839122

Hi.

Actually, due to budget constraint, we want to save the cost for courier the swiss pass to us if we book thruogh internet(around Euro 13/person additional charge for by post), so we decide not to book on-line. and buy at train station or etc. any best way you can recommend us to buy the swiss pass? TQ

Annika
    7125 posts
    25 July 2013 at 6:26:00 #839123

Hi fishtye78,

So if I’m correct, you’re enquiring about a group of 14 traveling in September and about your own group of 12 traveling in November. I’d definitely advice to purchase Swiss Saver Passes online in advance for both groups. That’s because it takes quite some time for such a group to arrange for passes at a railway counter. All travelers will have to show their passports, have their data entered, etcetera. Domodossola is not a Swiss but an Italian station and I don’t think they sell Swiss Passes there. Venice and Paris do not sell them either as far as I know.

In case of Malaysia there are indeed shipping charges, but note that they have to be paid only once per order, not per person. The additional delivery fee of CHF 30.50 to Malaysia comes to only CHF 2.17 per person for the group of 14 and CHF 2.54 for the group of 12 if costs are shared. In my view that’s definitely worth the money. Alternatively the group of 14 could travel to the Swiss station of Brig with regular tickets and buy the passes there, but that’s much more expensive. For example: 14 single tickets Domodossola to Brig cost CHF 218.40. If you order here, the prices as mentioned apply, and you can validate your passes yourself so you can use them straight away and not loose time at stations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2013 at 23:53:12 #839124

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your reply.

Please advise the question as below.

1.I check the website, it seem like max can book 10 person only, so mean we have book 3 times and pay 3 time of delivery fee, right?
    Because we have 14 person for September 2013 and 13 persons for Nov 2013.
    2.We can validate the swiss pass at Domodossola/Basel, right?
    3.Normally take how long to send the swiss pass to Malaysia? coz the september group depart from Malaysia 6/9/2013.
    Will it be a problem , if Sept group and November group book together?

Thanks for your help

Annika
    7125 posts
    26 July 2013 at 1:59:43 #839125

Hi fishtye78,

You are welcome! As for your questions:

1. You can book for 20 people at once. So you would need one order for each group.
    2. If you order through the link I gave you, you will receive passes that you can validate yourself. So you don’t need to visit any ticket office.
    3. Shipping to Malaysia takes about 5 working days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2013 at 4:54:31 #839126

Hi Annika,
    Thank you for your advise. We already make the booking as what you mention.:-)
    A few question need to your advise as below:

1.As i check through internet,during November the tempurature at Top of Europe(Junfrau) is around -10 degree celsius, seem like very cold for us as Malaysian. So is that have shop/station at interlaken have rent clothes which can sustain -10 degrees Celsius. Because normally our clothes can sustain to 3-5 degree celsius only. Normally how much it cost for the rental.

Annika
    7125 posts
    26 July 2013 at 6:34:53 #839127

Hi fishtye78,

Great that you have arranged for your passes! As explained on our Swiss Pass page, if you order well before the first travel date, they ship the passes a couple of weeks before that first travel date. If you need them sooner you can email them and they will ship it right away.

There is a Snow Fun Park at the Jungfraujoch where you can hire skis, sledges, etc. They possibly have clothing as well; you can best contact them to ask. Also there are several Intersport shops in the region, including Interlaken, that rent out winter sports gear. The Jungfraujoch is a large complex with restaurants and observation decks, so you have plenty of opportunities to enjoy the view from the indoors. If you do go outside for a short while you can do fine with multiple layers of thinner clothing, sun glasses and a scarf. If you stay outside longer you indeed need to have appropriate clothing.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2013 at 1:12:00 #839128

Hi Annika,

Good Morning to you! Thanks for your reply.

Hereby i would like to ask for the train from Interlaken West station to Milano Centrale. As i read through SBB & EURAIL. Now i would like to book the ticket from Domodossola to Milano Centrale, but before purchase the said ticket. Please advise for the below trains schedule, is that correct? It seem like we need to change a few train from Interlaken to Milan

1.Interlaken West (every 30min per train) to Spiez – time depart 731 to 7:50am(duration 20min) – Use swiss pass
    2.Spiez to Brig – time departure 8:36am to 9:11am (duration 35min) – Use Swiss pass -train IC 810
    3.Brig to Domodossala 09:44am to 10:12am – Use swiss Pass -train type EC 37 (Seem like too rush for change train)
    4 Domodosala to Milano centrale – 10:17am to 11:35am or 12:54pm to 14:32pm – purchase on-line from Trenitalie (Train name EUROCITY/REGIONALE)

As above, which mean from Interlaken to Milano will be from 7:31am to 11:35am

My question are as below :
    1. for eurocity train between Domodosala to interlaken also free with swiss pass , right?
    2. the time allow for each train changes is enough or not? because we are new there, we afraid will lost in train station while find the next train platform while changing train.Pls advise
    3. Any problem on my above planning for train? so from interlaken to domodosala, i will walk in without train reservation, just only from Domodosala to Milano centrale i will purchase the ticket within this one two day.

Thanks for your advise.:-)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2013 at 2:45:18 #839129

Hi Annika,

I have search the SBB web time table as below :

Spiez to Domodossola (I) – Direct train – time 8:05am to 9:12am (duration 1hr07min) -Train type : EC51

Question:
    A) Is that Domodossola (I) same with station Domodossala which the same station (i will book at Trenitalia from Domo to Milano centrale?)coz i see the internet hav a few station name eg. Milano Nord domodosolla, Rebellasca (Domodossola),Domodossola, Stazione (make me confuse
    B) I don need to reserve seat, right?

I think direct train from Spiez to Domodossala is better, then i can take the train time 1017am to Milano Centrale. TQ

btw, the reason i want book the ticket early in Trenitalia , is because they have super economy price for the limited seat (From Domodossala to Milano centrale).

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 July 2013 at 6:18:01 #839130

Hi fishthye78,

The 8.05 EuroCity train from Spiez is a direct train to Milan. You don’t need to get off in Domodossola. Seats reservations are compulsory for this train, as you can see in the timetable. Possibly the cheap ticket you noticed at Trenitalia requires you to take a local train rather then a EuroCity train, I don’t know about that. If it works like that you indeed have to change trains in Domodossola. In that case you need seat reservations for Spiez – Domodossola, but you do not need a ticket as it’s covered by your Swiss Pass. You can get the reservations here. I only know about one rail station in Domodossola by the way.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2013 at 8:16:39 #839131

Hi Arno,

Thanks again

After I check through the Trenitalia and SBB train time table , I found that from Spiez to domodossola and Domodossola to Milano is the same train which is Eurocity 51 as below n what you mentioned.
    1. Spiez to Domodossola -depart 8:05am to 9:12am (from SBB website)
    2.Domodossola to Milano centrale depart 9:17 to 10:35am (from Trenitalia )

Actually the cheaper train fee for super economy seat shown in Trenitalia as you mentioned just now also stated train type is Eurocity 51. Seem Both also Eurocity 51, if like that, should be the same train, then mean I can purchase the ticket from Trenitalia web Euro 9/person for super economy instead of SBB web shown CHF26/person.

With the purchased ticket (from Domo to Milano) ,while arrive to Domodossola train shall I come out from train and check in again?

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 July 2013 at 8:54:14 #839132

You’re welcome fishthye78! Ok, that sounds logical to me. You don’t need to get off the train. If you have valid tickets for all legs you can stay seated. The link from my previous post shows the price as SGD 31 per person (about EUR 18), but that includes both the required seat reservation from Spiez onwards and the ticket price from Domodossola to Milan. So I’m not sure if you actually save money by buying these two separately, but both options are possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2013 at 22:10:36 #839133

Hi,

The below question from September group ,

1) I am holding the swiss pass now, and would like to reserve the Golden pass seat from Zwesimmen to Montreux on the 18/9/13
    what should i do? Can you help? btw, for november group , can we make reservation for golden pass seat by without receiving swiss pass at this moment (coz our pass will send to us around Oct)

2) We hav received the swiss pass via courier, the ticket shown the validate date as 15/9/13, does it mean i do not need to validate the pass again at the station on the date? Our train is from Milano to Domodossolla to interlaken (same train). & we already brought the ticket from Milan to Domo. Domo to Interlaken will use swiss pass

Many thanks in advance so many queries…:-)

Annika
    7125 posts
    6 August 2013 at 3:58:47 #839134

Hi fishtye78. You can make seat reservations now, it doesn’t matter whether you already have your Swiss Pass or not. As long as you have your reservation and Swiss Pass at the moment of traveling, it’s fine. Seat reservations can be made here.

Through the reseller you purchased from, you don’t need further validation if the date’s already printed on the pass. You may need to write down traveler’s data on the passes though, if they’re not printed yet. I assume instructions on this are enclosed with the passes, right?

• The thread ‘3days trip-Interlaken/Lucerne (1711/13-2011/13)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.