4 day trip to Swiss including Golden Pass train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2016 at 9:49:42 #808966

Hi,

I’m planning to spend 4 days in swiss starting from Geneva, 4 adults + 3 children ( 3, years, 8 years, 13 years) . I’m planning to take Swiss pass + family pass to cover my travel to Geneva-interlaken-engelberg-Zurich. Need some info:

1. I wish to take Goldenpass train from Montreux to interlaken. Do I get any discount using swiss pass ?

2.Do I need to make a reservation on this train?

Thanks

Nitin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 April 2016 at 10:11:10 #851009

Hi Nitin, welcome to MySwissAlps!

What you need is a Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Pass is something else and only for Swiss citizens.

1. All trains in Switzerland, including the Golden Pass, are free with the Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity. Cable cars, cogwheel trains, etc. are discounted.

2. No, that’s not necessary: myswissalps.com/ goldenpass/tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2016 at 15:46:44 #851010

Thanks a lot Arno. Couple more queries.

1) We will go to Mt titlis from Interlaken on 12th morning and reach Zurich in evening. Would it be possible to taken golden pass enroute?

2) We have outbound flight from Zurich at 2pm on 13th June. Would it be possible to visit Rennie falls that day? We will stay in Zurich on 12th night.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 April 2016 at 17:31:50 #851011

Hi Nitin,

1) Yes, it’s possible and in fact you can’t even avoid it as the most direct way to get there includes part of the Golden Pass route (Interlaken – Meiringen – Hergiswil – Lucerne).

2) That depends on what time you need to be at the airport. I assume 2 hours before departure? I guess it’s doable but it will be a short visit. It takes about an hour to get there. All details are on myswissalps.com/ rhinefalls and the timetable has the train schedules.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2016 at 6:59:57 #851012

Thanks Arno. Few more questions:

We are two adults and 2 children, 8 years and 13 years. I was wondering if I take Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days (with family pass),do children go free at Jungfrau train and Titlis cable car? I know we will get 25% and 50% reduction respectively for adult tickets but not sure about children.

Annika
    7125 posts
    23 April 2016 at 7:14:29 #851013

Hi Nitin,

Yes, the Swiss Family Card allows your children to travel for free to Jungfraujoch and Titlis as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. Their rides are free for all routes that are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, regardless whether free or discounted traveling applies forthe adults.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2016 at 8:52:56 #851014

Thanks Annika.

If I have to choose between Jungfraujoch and Titlis, what is you suggestion?

Annika
    7125 posts
    24 April 2016 at 6:51:47 #851015

Hi Nitin,

That’s a very personal decision. First of all, it depends on your base town and I’d pick whichever mountain requires the least amount of traveling time. So if you’re staying in Interlaken, Jungfraujoch makes sense, if it’s in Lucerne/Engelberg, Titlis does. You can also study our Jungfraujoch and Titlis pages and see for yourself what appeals to you most.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2016 at 16:50:58 #851016

Thanks Annika.

It seems ice-flyer at Titlis is not covered under cable-car ticket. How much does it cost and for SWISS travel pass holder?

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 April 2016 at 17:31:10 #851017

Hi Nitin,

The price is the same for everyone. From the top of my mind it’s CHF 12.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2016 at 5:31:18 #851018

Thanks Arno.

I was trying to find the info on time-table for GoldenPass trains from Montreux to Interlaken and from interlaken to Lucern. When I search on http://www.raileurope.co.in/ goldenpass-line I get lot of options but none mentions “GoldenPass”. Not sure how to identify Goldenpass train from that list.

My plan is to land in Geneva on 10th June around 10am, roam around a bit and around 4 pm take Goldenpass train from Montreux to Interlaken bit not sure of GoldenPass train time-table.

Does goldenpass train originate from main train stations or they have separate ones?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2016 at 9:50:35 #851019

I think got this answer from same webpage. Thanks.

Next questions is on Lake-Geneve boat rides from Lusanne to Montreux.

Having Swiss Travel pass, do I need to make reservations for the boat ride?

Annika
    7125 posts
    7 May 2016 at 11:40:43 #851020

Hi Nitin,

Please use the Swiss timetable that’s has been linked to in previous answers. It provides much better results than other timetables. Moreover, you’ll have to enter some “via-stations” using the “Advanced search” option to force the timetable to show the Golden Pass route. Otherwise it will come up with quicker routes by default. For the Golden Pass route, you can enter Gstaad and Zwesimmen as via-stations. Alternatively, you can check the Golden Pass timetable using the link under “More on other websites” here. There are no separate Golden Pass rail stations. Platform numbers can be found in the timetable too.

You don’t need reservations for boats on Lake Geneva; please find information here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2016 at 18:21:52 #851021

Thank you.

I see only couple of boat-trips from Lusanne to Montreux in a day so was wondering if it going to be crowded in June? Is there a possibility of not finding space on 11:40 am boat when I reach at dock?

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 May 2016 at 18:36:02 #851022

June is not high season yet, but it’s hard to predict how crowded things will be for a particular boat. It’s up to the CGN, who operates the boats, to make sure everyone has a good trip. You can optionally upgrade to 1st class if you find 2nd class to be too crowded.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2016 at 9:18:01 #851023

Thanks Arno.

1. I was checking lake Geneva boat trip. There are many options from Geneva and Lausanne, to Vevey/Montreux/Evian etc. I was wondering what the best stretch provided I’ve just 2-3 hrs to spend?

2. I’m planning to take Goldenpass from Montreux to Interlaken. What is latest train I should catch to get to see all route in day light. I shall be there on 10th June.

Thanks

Nitin

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 May 2016 at 10:13:02 #851024

Hi Nitin,

1. The eastern part is the best in my opinion, so around Vevey and Montreux.

2. Sunset will be around 9:15 PM. Personally I would prefer to arrive earlier as there will be shade in the valleys prior to that time. You can check the timetable Annika mentioned.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2016 at 10:25:57 #851025

Thanks Arno.

Actually my flight will land in Geneva around 10:30am and first boat from Lausanne is at 11:40, so not sure if I can catch that. Next one is at 13:40 which reaches Montreux at 17:10.

I see Goldenpass train starting at 14:44, 15:44, 17:44. Would prefer to catch at 15:44 but was wondering if I take 2nd boat, I can take only 17:44 train. So, confused!

I know it sounds silly, but what are main attractions I can cover in Geneva in 1 hr ? 🙂

• The thread ‘4 day trip to Swiss including Golden Pass train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.