9 nights Switzerland 11 pax itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2017 at 11:32:05 #811238

hello

we are group of 11 pax. planning visit to swiss in june 2017. we have planned to stay for first four nights in lucerne. one night each in lugano and st moritz. two nights in zermatt. last night in zurich to catch a flight back to india.

have few questions

1. we are have planned to stay one night each in lugano and st. moritz as we have chosen to have rides on bernina and glacier express, does this make sense

2. whether bernina and glacier express are different experience

3. 4 days is lucerne are planned as one for mt titlis, one for pilatus, one for bern, we have not planned for one day, kindly help us out for planning of one day

4. in zermatt we have planned a stay for two nights. first evening we will reach zermatt by glacier express from st moritz and will enjoy local. next morning we have planned to visit matterhorn. is that fine

5. we will get swiss travel pass for 8 days. first day we will reach basel from paris by tgv. we have planned to reach lucerne from basel by train. but we will use our swiss travel pass from second day. hope that is fine

6. last night we will stay at zurich. we have planned visit to rhine falls when we reach zurich

kindly give your opinion for above and if any change has to be done kindly guide us

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2017 at 16:51:35 #860765

Hi rajikadinesh,

1. Yes, it makes sense to me to stay a night at the end of each train trip
    2. They are different but part of the lines are the route so there is some similarity certainly- the end destination is different of course.
    3. On your previous post I made some suggestions for on the extra day in Luzern. There a list of activities you can choose from here and there is the Golden Pass train you could take to Montreux for a day trip. In the end you have to decide what you and your group will prefer to do.
    4. In Zermatt you can see the Matterhorn best by going up Klein Matterhorn or the Gornergrat.
    5. Sounds good. The recommended websites to buy the pass are listed here.
    6. Sure, it is easy to reach the RheinFall from Zurich (about 1 hour each way on the train).

Best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2017 at 5:10:10 #860766

thanks lucas

1. as we have planned one day trip from lucerne to bern, can we go to montreux ( as suggested by you ) directly after seeing bern. Or we should make a seperate day trip to montreux from lucerne.

2. whether golden line panoramic trains from luzern to montreux is strongly recommended, as we are already going to take two scenic trains ( bernina and glacier )

3. Klein Matterhorn or the Gornergrat. which one is better

4. hope online email printout of swiss travel pass are ok. we are planning to start using our pass from 31st may. we will be reaching basel on 30th may. can we buy our passes from basel or it is recommended to buy them online

5. suggest good economical place for vegetarian food in lucern, zermatt

Annika
    7125 posts
    1 April 2017 at 14:55:35 #860767

Hi rajikadinesh,

1. I wouldn’t visit Bern and Montreux both on one day if that’s what you mean. You’d better make a separate day trip to Montreux using the Golden Pass line as recommended by Lucas. It’s just one of the many options though; there are other activities much closer to Lucerne: myswissalps.com/lucern e/activities.

2. It’s a beautiful ride; please find details through the link Lucas provided. In the end it’s up to you to decide. Just pick the activities that appeal to you most, and don’t forget to consult the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble to learn about traveling times for each trip.

3. I personally like the views from Gornergrat better.

4. Yes, you can easily order a print at home Swiss Travel Pass from the retailers listed at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. It’s much easier than having to spend time on a purchase after arrival in Basel, and there are no shipping or handling if you order through the official SBB tourist webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en.

5. I can’t provide specific restaurants, but the pages below may help you to get started. I also suggest you search the forum using the search box in the upper right corner. There have been good recommendations for restaurants in Lucerne and Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 6:33:12 #860768

thanks annika

1. given a choice which one city should be selected out of bern and montreux

2 what the advantage of going to gornergrat over more famous matterhorn

3. for day trip from luzern do we prefer pilatus over rigi

4. we will be staying for one night in lugano. kindly guide for 2 best places to visit in lugano

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 7:54:45 #860769

Hi Rajikadinesh,

1. I Like Montreux better for the activities you can do in the area and it being a lake-side location. You can also take the Golden Pass panoramic train from Interlaken as well to get there.
    2. Well you can’t go to the Matterhorn itself. You can go to two nearby mountains for views of the Matterhorn – Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn and most people like the views of the Matterhorn more from Gornergrat.
    3. This is really personal preference – I might say Mt. Pilatus is a bit more exciting of a trip than Mt Rigi.
    4. I don’t have any experience in Lugano – perhaps the tourism website for Lugano will give you some more information on what to do there (or another member can let us know what they think).

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 8:51:02 #860770

thanks lucas

1. you have suggested montreux over bern. and u have suggested to catch golden pass line train from interlaken. but we are staying at luzern and would like to do day trip. so you suggest us first to travel to interlaken from luzern and then change train.

2. sorry i was comparing klein and gornergrat. but now i am clear, we will visit gornergrat

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 12:23:07 #860771

Its really up to you whether to visit Bern or Montreux – I like Montreux a little more, but both are nice :).

You can catch the Golden Pass train from Luzern -no need to go to Interlaken to start. As another option if you want a shorter/simpler day you can take the train to Interlaken and explore that town and area, such as Lake Thun.

Best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 13:00:22 #860772

thanks Lucas

visit to interlaken sounds better

kindly advice good place for adventure sports like bungy, paragliding etc

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 16:11:35 #860773

If you click the link I made on my post above for Interlaken you can click on “What to Do” and find many attractions/activities we recommend, including paragliding.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 5:04:15 #860774

thanks lucas

we are going to visit pilatus, titlis and matterhorn

is that fine if we miss jounfrauouch and enjoy a complete day in interlaken and around

if you agree with my point, kindly suggest me some activities and places to be visited around interlaken

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 5:57:54 #860775

thanks lucas

if we plan to go to interlaken to lucerne for adventure sports can we use swiss travel pass for travel on golden pass train for free

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 7:35:14 #860776

hello lucas

can we plan a trip from luzern to mt pilatus free with our swiss travel pass

whether boat ride from luzern to Alpnachstad is free with swiss travel pass

whether bus ride to and fro from kreins to lucerne is free with swiss travel pass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 11:41:37 #860777

Hi rajikadinesh!

Yes those trips are free with the Swiss Travel Pass. You can read all that is included on the Swiss Travel Pass here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 13:12:18 #860778

we are going to visit pilatus, titlis and matterhorn

is that fine if we miss jounfrauouch and enjoy a complete day in interlaken and around

if you agree with my point, kindly suggest me some activities and places to be visited around interlaken

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 13:18:50 #860779

I think you can skip the Jungfraujoch – but its really up to you in the end!

You can find our list of recommended Interlaken activities here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 9:42:15 #860780

thanks lucas

for 9 nights itinerary i have planned stay of four nights in luzern and one night in zurich

my question is for other 4 nights which i have split as 1 night in lugano, 1 night st moritz and 2 nights zermatt with bernina and glacier express. whether my decision is wise? or my journey and stay would be too hectic

Annika
    7125 posts
    22 April 2017 at 11:20:06 #860781

Hi rajikadinesh,

That’s a bit hectic indeed, but it’s really up to you to decide. Personally I’d skip Lugano and spend some nights in Zermatt and St. Moritz. Both towns have stunning scenery and offer lots to see and do, so you won’t get bored there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 4:27:27 #860782

thanks Annika

u have cleared my doubt, even i was thinking on same line

so now i will cancel my trip to lugano and bernina express scenic ride

in that case i would have two options

1. to stay extra night in luzern ,so instead of four nights stay i stay for five nights ( i have planned a visit to mount pilatus, mount titlis, luzern city sight seeing, visit to bern ). if i stay for one extra night in luzern kindly guide me

2. or to stay for two nights in st moritz instead of one night as planned initially

kindly guide further

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 9:00:58 #860783

Hi rajikadinesh,

I think based on your thoughts, the extra day is better spent in Luzern (you can visit Mt. Rigi or take a boat cruise or Stanserhorn etc. rather than St. Moritz – but click these links to see what else may interest you in and around those towns.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 10:45:54 #860784

thanks lucas

once we are visiting matterhorn, titlis and pilatus i think there is no point visitng rigi

stanserhorn visit is a better idea and a different experience, what do you say

i have planned a lucerne lake boat trip while we go to mount pilatus, hope thats ok

can we cover any portion of bernina express train when we go from lucerne to st moritz

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
  • The thread ‘9 nights Switzerland 11 pax itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.