Bernese Oberland trip planning HELP PLEASE!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2012 at 10:56:07 #805469

HELP PLEASE!! After 6 months of planning and reading everything we can, we are still unsure about what pass we should get.
    We are two senior adults traveling to Switzerland and plan to stay 2 weeks in bernese oberland. we will be spending all our time between lauterbrunner and up the alps to murren,schilthorn,wengen,gimmelwald,grindelwald etc. to highest peaks.Basically We will be landing in zurich and departing from Geneva.
    Questions: If we are not traveling outside of Bernese Oberland is there a better pass for us to us other than the swiss pass? Can we use that pass to get to and from the Zurich or Geneva airports? If not how should we get to the airports? If we have to pay half price do we need to use swiss franks each time or can we use our credit card? Last question. We are planning last two weeks in June. How cold should I expect it to be in the mountains? Thank-you so much,Jeannine

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    24 July 2012 at 9:48:07 #836705

It can be beautiful or quite chilly in June in the BO. For example, this year in June even the walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg closed off and on due to snow conditions. Also, the high mountain passes (such as Sefinenfurgge, Hohturli, Bunderchrinde) might well still be impassable. However, I don’t see anything like that in your travel plans so you should be fine.

Get the Half Fare Card. You get 50% off of all forms of transport throughout the entire country. No mental gymnastics around what days are “free travel” days, how much discount you get on which routes, etc. It is also usually the most economical approach. It costs 110 CHF and you can buy one at the Zurich airport.

All rail stations accept credit cards.

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    26 July 2012 at 10:20:15 #836706

Hello Jeannine, you are going to have a fabulous time!!! For our first time in Switzerland,, we, in our 60’s, traveled for two weeks with our 3 adult children using the 15 day Swiss Saver pass. I don’t know how it compares in price to the other passes but the luxury of not having to purchase a ticket for each train, or cable car was wonderful. You only pay the discounted price for the high mountain transportation, such as Schilthorn and jungfrau. Some museums, and attractions are free as well,as are boat rides on Lake Thun etc.
    We stayed in Murren for several days and traveled from there quite a bit using the cable cars, cog rail, post bus, using the pass with no extra costs involved. Have fun!

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    26 July 2012 at 13:14:04 #836707

[quote]jeannine said: HELP PLEASE!! After 6 months of planning and reading everything we can, we are still unsure about what pass we should get.
    We are two senior adults traveling to Switzerland and plan to stay 2 weeks in bernese oberland. we will be spending all our time between lauterbrunner and up the alps to murren,schilthorn,wengen,gimmelwald,grindelwald etc. to highest peaks.Basically We will be landing in zurich and departing from Geneva.
    Questions: If we are not traveling outside of Bernese Oberland is there a better pass for us to us other than the swiss pass? Can we use that pass to get to and from the Zurich or Geneva airports? If not how should we get to the airports? If we have to pay half price do we need to use swiss franks each time or can we use our credit card? Last question. We are planning last two weeks in June. How cold should I expect it to be in the mountains? Thank-you so much,Jeannine[/quote]

Hello Jeannine,

It might be worth your while to wait a bit making your decision. If we are talking June, 2013 here, there might be offers which can be of interest to you. You can find examples on this page (no promises!) of this website. If I were you, just wait, and keep an eye on the offers.
    I hope this helps a bit, you have time enough.

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland trip planning HELP PLEASE!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.