Buying a 9 o”clock one day travel pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2015 at 6:18:58 #807749

I understand that if I use a 9′ o’clck One day travel pass, I must have in my possession a “half fare travel card.”

My question is … does it make any difference if I buy my “half fare travel card” from Rail Europe as opposed to SBB?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    13 August 2015 at 8:11:20 #845321

Hello glyster, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

That’s correct, the 1-day travelpass is an add-on to the Swiss Half Fare Card. It’s explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/detail s.

Retailers for the Swiss Half Fare Card are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price. For US residents, the cheapest option is to buy through http://www.raileurope-world.com: EUR 98. As you can see, SBB prices at http://www.swissrailways.com are higher: CHF 120.00 (about EUR 110).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2015 at 8:37:43 #845322

Thank you.

Another question if you don’t mind. Where and how do I activate my One day travel pass?

Thank you

Guin

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 August 2015 at 17:17:30 #845323

Hi Guin,

You can buy the pass at the station before you start your trip, either from the staffed service desk or from the machine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2015 at 21:22:51 #845324

I thought that it is possible to buy the monthly all day half fare card online without delivery charge. But I was not able to do so. The system only gave me the option of mail delivery for a fee. Am I correct?

Is it possible for me to buy the one month all day half fare card when I arrive at Zurich airport? Can I buy it from my hotel?

thank you, Guin

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 August 2015 at 6:31:18 #845325

Hi Guin,

What do you mean by “monthly all day half fare card”? If you mean the Swiss Half Fare Card, then please see Annika’s post for where you can buy it. The first website she gave you does charge a delivery fee, but the price of the card is low so it’s still a very good deal (especially if you need it for more than one person). The second website (http://www.swissrailways.com) does not charge anything extra and you can print the card at home.

You can also buy it upon arrival, but the online options make sense as they save you money and/or time. Hotels don’t sell rail passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2015 at 10:02:12 #845326

Thank you for your response.

I have now established an account with SBB and given them my credit card. I also downloaded the app on my cell phone.

Can I buy a “one class upgrade for a specific route” online and present the confirmation email as evidence that I have updated the first class?

Thank you again.

Guin

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 August 2015 at 13:21:23 #845327

Hi Guin,

I’m not sure if you can buy that online, but if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card there is no need to buy class upgrades. You simply go to the station, buy a ticket for 1st or 2nd class, and board a train.

A confirmation e-mail is not a travel voucher. You need to show the conductor a ticket upon request.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2015 at 19:18:45 #845328

From what I can see online, I can buy a all day travel pass that’s 2nd class, but for specific trips, I can upgrade to 1st class. I plan t buy 2nd class but for journey from Montreaux to Zweisimmen, I was able to reserve first class VIP seat. I was told that all I needed to do is buy 1st class upgrade for that leg.

I was able to do that on SBB’s website, it allowed me to do so for only $12. I didn’t go through with the transaction only I want to make sure I don’t have to go pickup the ticket somewhere. that’s why I was asking the question, will the email confirmation serve as a ticket for the conductor along with my Swiss Half Far Card and my One day Travel Pass.

thank you again…

Guin

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 August 2015 at 6:07:21 #845329

Hi Guin,

I see what you mean now: you intend to use a 2nd class 1-day travelpass and upgrade to 1st class only from Montreux to Zweisimmen. You can arrange all of that at the station before departure. All you need to book in advance is the VIP seat.

If prefer to buy online then make sure you carefully follow the instructions, which will most probably ask you to print your ticket. Just an e-mail is not valid for traveling.

• The thread ‘Buying a 9 o”clock one day travel pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.