Difference between interrail pass – swiss pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2013 at 7:18:23 #805941

hi,

can someone suggest which pass is better for travelling in swiss. I am travelling with my wife and 3 year old daughter for four days. I have to buy either two interrail pass for one country i.e. SWISS or SWISS pass for both of us (me and my wife). Interrail seems to be cheaper but i am not sure if it covers all transportation of swiss travel network.

what is covered in interrail pass ?

Please guide, thanks

kind regards
    VN

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2013 at 13:11:04 #838494

Hi VN,

What are the trips you’ve planned and what’s your country of residence?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2013 at 13:23:46 #838495

Hi Arno,

I am indian citizen but have german resident permit and staying in germany since two years so i think I can avail interrail pass

secondly I will be staying in interlaken for four days and planning to visit all places near to interlaken including zermatt, Lausanne and lucerne.

haven’t made any final plan however want to include some lake, boat trips and mountain trips ..

Thanks, VN

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 April 2013 at 3:56:18 #838496

Hi VN,

Thanks for the extra information. Yes, I also assume you’re eligible for Interrail. Your daughter would travel along for free with both passes. As for the adults: Interrail is a bit cheaper than a Swiss Pass. Interrail mainly covers trains, and a discount on a limited number of private railways/mountain transport services. The Swiss Pass covers trains, buses, city transport, 50% discounts on most mountain transport, and free museum entrance. Some examples: The Gornergrat railway from Zermatt is 25% discounted with Interrail, 50% discounted with a Swiss Pass. The train from Visp to Zermatt you’ll use is 25% discounted with Interrail and free with a Swiss Pass. The Rigi railways near Lucerne are 50% discounted with Interrail and free with a Swiss Pass.

The total difference of about EUR 70 for the passes would easily be worth it if you plan to take cable cars/trains (like the above examples) that are not/less covered by Interrail, as standard tickets are quite expensive. You can download a detailed network map of what’s covered from the Swiss Pass page. You can get the pass here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2013 at 4:22:17 #838497

Hi Arno, Thanks you so much for your suggestions. Yes I too made some analysis and have seen swiss pass looks more better in coverage than interrail with just diff of around 70€.

Could you please guide me if swiss pass can be availed at Basel Bad BF station when I arrive to that station around 9.30 in morning. (If I just do not order it online).

Thanks, VN

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 April 2013 at 6:22:22 #838498

Hi VN,

Yes, it should be available there. Opening hours are at the SBB website. It’s easier to get it online though, so that you can just stay seated and don’t loose time. There isn’t much of a price difference.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2013 at 7:29:12 #838499

Alright ! Thanks you Arno 🙂

• The thread ‘Difference between interrail pass – swiss pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.