Does Swiss Flexipass cover the Zermatt-Visp line?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2013 at 1:39:08 #806158

My wife & I (from England) have had a lovely time over the last 2 weeks exploring this spectacular country using a 4-day Flexipass.

We only experienced one niggle on these travels, on the Zermatt – Visp line. Our Flexipass had been accepted for travel from Visp to Zermatt, but on the return journey we were told by the ticket inspector, rather officiously, that our tickets were not valid because this was a private train, and he charged us 90 CHF (45 CHF each). The return train was labelled “Glacier Express”, but as we traveled on it at about 17:00 hrs I assume it was not actually travelling the 7 hour glacier route. I thought our train from Visp was a different type ( though my wife thinks not).

Looking at the ticket prices for this line (17.50 CHF 1/2 or 35 CHF 1/1 2nd class) I can’t make sense of the 45 CHF each that we were charged, and should not the Flexipass have at least given us a reduction?

I also note that the tickets we were sold on the train have the labels: ” ZERMATT VISP 2 . KL 1/1 ” ….(various numbers)…. ” INKL . 08.00% MWST / SBB ” so was this an SBB train?

Can you clarify these anomolies please?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 August 2013 at 4:44:10 #839204

Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing this story. Eurail Passes only get you a discount on this line. But if you traveled a valid Swiss Flexi Pass, and used a free travel day, the line is free, regardless of the train type and train company operating it. See the downloadable map on the Swiss Flexi Pass page for details. The only exception I can think of is a charter train for a company party. But you wouldn’t be allowed to board such a train in the first place, and it would not be listed in the timetable.

The full price for your trip is indeed CHF 35, so CHF 45 does not make sense unless there is a CHF 10 fine included. It sounds like you should have been able to travel for free. I would advice to scan your pass and the tickets that were sold to you, and email the reseller where you purchased your pass. Also tell them the date and time of the train. They will probably be able to grant a refund or explain how to get a refund through the SBB.

I hope this helps a bit. I would be interested in hearing the outcome from you. Good luck!

• The thread ‘Does Swiss Flexipass cover the Zermatt-Visp line?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.