Has 1 month rail pass been discontinued?

• docholiday
    Participant
    3 posts
    23 April 2016 at 18:26:12 #808993

My wife and I have spent 2 -4 weeks in Switzerland almost yearly for more than 20 years, last in 2014. Generally, we have used the 1 month Swiss Pass for our travels. The one-month pass appears to no longer be offered. Is this the case? If so, might it be brought back for the 2016 summer?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 April 2016 at 20:05:38 #851152

Hi docholiday, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Pass has been discontinued on January 1, 2015. It has been replaced by the Swiss Travel Pass and unfortunately there’s no one month version of it. It won’t be back any time soon. The Swiss Travel Pass Flex is valid for up to one month. That might be the best alternative. The links provide all details about the new passes.

docholiday
    Participant
    3 posts
    26 April 2016 at 12:51:18 #851153

Thanks, Arno. I feared the 1 month pass would no longer be available. Apparently, the “two travel on one ticket” discount is also gone. And, prices are higher: my wife and I shared a “2 on 1, 1 month ticket” for about USD 1260 in June 2014; our best alternative for 25 days this summer will cost about USD1560. That best alternative is: for each of us a 15 day Travel Flex Pass and a 10 day Tell pass. The Tell Pass has several advantages over the Swiss Pass for travel in the area of our home base, on the shore of the Vierwaldstaettersee, so we will have a good month, but with less of Basel, Bern, and Lacarno, and more of Klewenalp, Interlacken,and Pilatus. It will be a good, but different, experience. Thanks for the forum!

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 April 2016 at 16:23:09 #851154

Hi docholiday,

The passes haven’t become much pricier over the last two years. But it sounds like you took advantage of a promotion at the time. There have indeed been “2 for 1” promotions but that’s not a standard recurring promotion. Promotions vary and be found on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ promotions at any time. You can get $50 off a 1st class pass at the moment, please see myswissalps.com/ forum/topic/50-off-1st-class-swiss-travel-pass-cable-car.

I’m glad to hear you’ve found a combination of passes that works for you. Note that the pass is called Swiss Travel Pass now. If you call it Swiss Pass at a service desk may think you’re talking about the new electronic card for Swiss citizens (see the link in my previous post), which is a very different product.

All details about your passes (how they work, what’s included, where to buy) can be found here:

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    1 May 2016 at 9:59:33 #851155

Hi Arno,

I think you’re missing the difference between “2 for 1” and “2 on 1”. As far as I remember “2 for 1” were short term promotions whereas “2 on 1” gave a 15% discount with the proviso that you travelled together. Sadly both have now gone although it was said that the 15% reduction would now apply to everyone. Oh yes?

Andrew

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 May 2016 at 12:54:01 #851156

Hi Andrew,

You’re right, I missed that, sorry. Two or more people traveling on one pass was called Swiss Saver Pass back then, and it was 15% cheaper than the prices for single travelers at the time. The Swiss Pass is gone, and so is the Swiss Saver Pass. Everyone gets their own Swiss Travel Pass now. The current prices are nearly the same as the Saver prices. So there’s no additional discount when traveling together, with the added benefit that you don’t have to travel together as each has his/her own pass. You’ll find prices here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/price.

• The thread ‘Has 1 month rail pass been discontinued?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.