Help with Swiss travel May/June 2012

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2012 at 8:44:02 #805166

Hello,
    We are a family group of six: aunt & uncle (65+), niece and her husband, and their daughters aged 18 & 14. We arrive in Zurich on Mon., 28 May and travel to Venice by train, spending the next 8 nights in Italy. Then we return to Switzerland (Interlaken) on 6 June and spend 3 nights, and finally back to Zurich for two nights. While in Interlaken, we may visit the Jungfraujoch and take a boat cruise on the Thunersee. In Zurich, we will need transportation to the airport. I would like to have advice on the most advantageous rail passes, including how they work traveling to and from Italy. This is our first trip to Switzerland, so we would appreciate any suggestions!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 April 2012 at 12:19:05 #835775

Hello MarthaSwan, and welcome to our forum! I suggest you look into the 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass (plus a ZurichCard) or the Swiss Half Fare Card. Which pass is best, can only be said after making rather detailed calculations based on your plans. As for the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass: you could use free travel days for your trip from Zurich Airport to Venice: the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass will allow free traveling up to the Swiss/Italian border station (most probably Domodossola or Chiasso, depending on your train connection). The next free travel day would be used for the trip Venice-Interlaken, where again the Swiss leg of the trip from Domossola or Chiasso onward would be for free. The last free travel day should be used for your transfer back to Zurich. On the days in Interlaken, you’ll profit from a 50% discount (25% for the Jungfraujoch). The validity of this pass ends with its third and last free travel day. Specifics, including ordering options and a downloadable validity map, are available at the Swiss Flexi Pass page. Your last two days in Zurich could be covered by a ZurichCard.

The Swiss Half Fare Card allows a 50% discount on all your trips within Switzerland, including (urban) transportation in and near Zurich. Further details can be found at the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

In both cases, the 14 year old will travel along for free with the free STS Family Card and the 18 year old need her own Swiss Saver Flexi Pass/Swiss Half Fare Card.

You may also be interested in our hotel pages for Zurich Airport, Zurich and Interlaken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2012 at 11:10:09 #835776

Thanks so much, Annika! I have purchased the 3 day Swiss Saver Pass for the five people over 16. How do we obtain the STS Family Card for the 14 year old? Also, would you recommend that we purchase our tickets to Venice now? We arrive in Zurich at 7:50 am, and I believe there is a train at 10:47 am. I assume that the advance ticket purchase process gives an opportunity to enter the Swiss Save Pass information?

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 April 2012 at 11:21:16 #835777

Hi Martha,

The Family Card can be obtained for free at any manned Swiss rail station upon showing your pass and passport. Your trip to Venice most probably requires seat reservations, so I would recommend to arrange for that in advance.

• The thread ‘Help with Swiss travel May/June 2012’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.