Help with 7-day itinerary Geneva, Lucerne, Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2016 at 18:48:39 #809955

Hi,

We are arriving at Geneva by train on 9th Oct – Sunday 1 PM.

Day 1: Arrive at Geneva 1 PM. Check-in into city center hotel and then visit Geneva lake . Any sightseeing other than lake we can cover in that day?

Day 2: Start early 8 AM to montreux to catch Golden Pass and go to Interlaken. Check-in hotel at Interlaken by 12 PM. Hire a bike and spend time roaming in Interlaken. Please suggest what the best we can do?

Day 3: Full day excursion to JungFrau . Can we do anything else ?

Day 4 : Start early morning and go to Lucerne . Check-in hotel by 12.00 PM.Go for Mt Pilatus or Rigi same day. Which is best one? Hire a bike and roam around lake and city tour. Anything can we cover?

Day 5 : Start early morning and go to Engelberg. Check-in hotel at Engelberg by 12.00 PM and visit Mt Titlis. Spend evening at hotel. Can we do anything special in eve?

Day 6 : Start early in the morning from Engelberg and go to Zurich by 10.00 AM. Check-in to the Zurich hotel. Visit Rhine falls and then spent time in Zurich city. Hire a bike and roam around the city in night. visit lake. Can all be cover in a day?

Day 7 : Start from Zurich around 11.00 AM and reach Geneva by 3.00 PM as we need to catch flight to Paris which is at 5.00 PM.

Can we make our last day journey special? Any better train on the way?

Feel free to provide any suggestion in timings. The hotels are pre-booked so little chances of change in itinerary.

We are planning to book Swiss pass for 8 Consecutive days. Do we have any better alternative?

Let me know your thoughts on the itinerary.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 August 2016 at 15:01:15 #855403

Hi bhalgat20, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I know your hotels are book already, but to be honest, I think you are staying in too many towns. Excursions into the mountains are weather dependent. If you just stay one day in Engelberg, for example, the weather might not be suitable to go up. You can easily stay in Lucerne and do a day trip to Mount Titlis if the weather is fine. If it’s not, you’ll have plenty of other options in Lucerne. Personally, I would stay in 1 or 2 towns, and 3 would be the absolute maximum for a week. Changing hotels and traveling takes a lot of time, at the expense of sightseeing.

Day 1: a stroll through the old town center is worth it (Grand-Rue and surroundings). There are museums that might interest you: http://www.geneve.com/ en/see-do/museums/. More can be found here: myswissalps.com/ geneva.

Day 2-6: Please see myswissalps.com/ interlaken/activities, myswissalps.com/ lucerne/activities and myswissalps.com/zurich /activities.

Day 7: I strongly recommend to take a direct train from Zurich to Paris. You’ll save a lot of time that way. If you book early, it will be cheap as well, and it’s a comfortable way to travel. All details are here: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/france.

An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is an excellent option. You don’t have to buy tickets most of the time and can just board any train, boat and bus as you like. The only other option to consider could be a Swiss Half Fare Card, but that’s less convenient. Please find all details here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2016 at 8:39:55 #855404

My daughter and I recently 15 days travelling around Switzerland. we spent 4 nights in Geneva which was way too much. I would recommend the United Nations and then go over the road to the Red Cross restaurant for lunch. I would also recommend chateau de chillon on your way to Interlaken hoheweg. You can put your luggage in storage at the railway station and it doesn’t cost much. Jungfrau is beautiful and we spent almost a full day up there. Remember the sunglasses. We also went to mt pilatus but again spent the whole day there. We went for a walk to the top of the mountain and sat and enjoyed the quiet. It was a cloudy day but still beautiful. Keep an eye out for the mountain goats on the very steep rocky hills.

we did a day trip from Zurich to the Rhine falls and also visited Rhine n stein on the way back.

Depending on how much money you want to spend we packed bread rolls and fruit for our lunch everyday which kept the costs down. There’s also a great app called SBS mobile which I would definitely put on your phone.

Happy travels. Jacquie

• The thread ‘Help with 7-day itinerary Geneva, Lucerne, Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.