TGV Lyria from France to Switzerland
The high speed TGV Lyria train offers direct services from Paris to several Swiss cities such as Zurich (4 hours) and Geneva (about 3h15). We highly recommend this comfortable train over flights.
How to get the cheapest tickets
- Book as early as possible. You can book up to 4 months before traveling. Find prices here;
- It helps if your travel date and time are flexible. It makes it easier to get the best price;
- When booking early, even tickets for the direct trains are cheap. But it may help to also consider connections with one or more changes;
- Check if there are promotions;
- If you have a Swiss rail pass, be sure to only book a ticket to the Swiss border (Basel SBB, Geneva or Vallorbe). For example: with a Swiss Travel Pass, there is no need for a ticket from Paris to Zurich, because the leg from Basel SBB to Zurich is covered by the pass. Just book to Basel SBB and enjoy the rest of the trip for free with your pass;
- An alternative to booking a ticket to the Swiss border station, is to book a ticket for the "passholder fare". That's a ticket for the entire route for people who own a rail pass for Switzerland or France. The ticket is cheaper than a regular ticket because the leg covered by the rail pass is free. An advantage of this fare is that it includes a seat reservation for the entire route, not just to the border. Passholder fares are not always available. If they're unavailable, you simply book to the border;
- If you have a rail pass that covers both France and Switzerland, you don't need a ticket at all. You just need a seat reservation.
Find ticket prices and points of sale.
Is something not clear yet? Just post your questions to the Swiss rail forum and get a quick answer.