How to get the best deal for Titlis and driving?

How to get the best deal for Titlis and driving?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
juhaida
juhaida
8 posts
Sep 18, 2015 - 6:35 AM

Hi...we will be visiting Switzerland in November & will be staying at Lauterbrunnen...we will be traveling by car, no train...for titlis, should we buy swiss pass (which we won't be using for train at all) to enjoy titlis 50% discount?

Arno
Arno
7716 posts
expert &
Sep 18, 2015 - 9:39 AM

Hi Juhaida,

The Swiss Pass is not available anymore. It was replaced by the Swiss Travel Pass in 2014 (see here please). If you plan to drive the Swiss Half Fare Card is a better choice. It gives you a 50% discount on Mount Titlis and many other trains, boats and cable cars. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ price for where to buy one, and further details.

I would recommend to travel by train though, unless you plan to visit remote areas. The higher road passes will be closed in November anyway, so you don't need a car for that, and the Lauterbrunnen area is mostly car free.

Please note that the Titlis cable cars do not operate from November 2 to 13 due to maintenance.

I hope this was useful!

juhaida
juhaida
8 posts
Sep 18, 2015 - 12:34 PM

Tq for advice....oh dear, this means we gotta reschedule & cancel apartment & car bookings...cancellation is strict where i can only get 50% refund...do you think i should do the cancellations?...

Appreciate your kind advice on what other activities suitable between 12-15 Nov?

Last modified on Sep 18, 2015 - 12:35 PM by juhaida
juhaida
juhaida
8 posts
Sep 18, 2015 - 1:27 PM in reply to Arno

Additional questions:-

- if we decide to cancel driving, which card would be the best for us?...is it still swiss half fare card?

- is titlis cable car open on 14th nov?

Arno
Arno
7716 posts
expert &
Sep 19, 2015 - 1:49 PM

Hi Juhaida,

I don't see why you consider to cancel your apartment. And traveling by car is still an option, it's just good to be aware of the limitations. The train system is excellent and more convenient for the regular sightseeing. It's all up to you of course.

If you do it all by train you should list all your day trips and pick a pass based on that. You can calculate which pass is the cheapest option as explained here.

Titlis should indeed re-open on November 14. More activities can be found under "What to do" in the main menu, or on our regional pages such as the one for the Jungfrau region.

juhaida
juhaida
8 posts
Sep 19, 2015 - 1:53 PM in reply to Arno

Tqvm for your kind advice...appreciate it!... :-)

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2651 posts
expert
Sep 19, 2015 - 2:17 PM in reply to juhaida

You could skip Titlis and try some other mointains.

Maybe Niessen is open then, and closer to Lauterbrunnen.....?

www.myswissalps.com/ni esen

Slowpoke

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016