About the Jungfrau region
Picking the most beautiful region of Switzerland is impossible, but the Jungfrau region most definitely deserves a top ranking. Do not skip this region if you're a first time visitor!
Check out vacation homes and apartments throughout the Jungfrau region.
The Jungfrau region truly is picture perfect. See it here.
Feel free to post to the forum if you have any questions about this region.
What is the Jungfrau region?
The Jungfrau region begins in Interlaken, the largest town in the region. Interlaken is easy to reach by train and car. The Jungfrau region stretches out to the Jungfrau mountain range in the south, which is Unesco World Heritage. There's a lot of beautiful Alpine nature and several little villages. Many people consider the Jungfrau region as a "must see" in Switzerland.
Where to stay?
There are several options:
- Interlaken is the largest town. It's not particularly picturesque, but it is practical as there are many hotels, shops and restaurants. Also you can easily travel to the Jungfrau region and other areas in the Bernese Oberland from here. Hiking options directly from town are limited;
- Grindelwald is the largest town after Interlaken. It can be busy at times. The town offers easy access to Jungfraujoch and lots of hiking trails;
- Wengen is a car-free village on a plateau, with easy access to Jungfraujoch and lots of hiking trails;
- Mürren is a car-free village on a plateau, with easy access to the Schilthorn and quite some hiking trails. Traveling to other parts of the region takes a bit longer;
- Lauterbrunnen is pretty small but centrally located. You can easily reach Wengen and Mürren from here;
- Gimmelwald is a tiny car-free settlement near Mürren. There aren't many facilities. We don't recommend staying there unless you're main objective is to relax, and you don't mind traveling a bit more for sightseeing and shopping;
- Stechelberg is tiny as well, and is located somewhat isolated at the end of the Lauterbrunnen valley. It can be reached from Lauterbrunnen by bus or by car.
If there's anything like 'perfect scenery', we think the Jungfrau region has it. The combination of sunny valleys, waterfalls, massive steep rock walls and snow capped peaks is just picture perfect. Take your time to explore this region. Although the area is small and you can easily make a round trip in a day, weather in the mountains dictates your plans. It's well worth it to wait for a clear day to see the mountains in their full glory.
TOWNS IN THIS REGION
Grindelwald, at the base of the mighty Eiger North face and the Wetterhorn, is literally situated amidst the Bernese Alps. It's a hikers' paradise!
Interlaken is the central town in the Bernese Oberland, and the gate to the famous Jungfrau region. It's an ideal base if you want to explore the entire Bernese Oberland.
Wengen is a car-free Alpine village surrounded by hiking trails and ski slopes. It's a perfect base for excursions to Jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheidegg and Männlichen.
Lauterbrunnen is surrounded by mountains, cliffs and waterfalls. It's a small centrally located village, convenient for excursions in the Jungfrau region. Interlaken, Mürren and Wengen are within easy reach.
Mürren is a car-free alpine village, perfect for hiking and winter sports. There's a spectacular view on many mountains like the famous Eiger Northface, the Mönch and Breithorn. An excursion to the Schilthorn is easy from here.