Information required to plan a trip in Switzerland

Information required to plan a trip in Switzerland

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
Jan 20, 2015 - 6:55 AM
Hello sir, we planned our holiday to switzerland on June 11 till June 23 .This is the itinerary 12 morning zurich airport 13,14 Lucerne. 15 ,16 Interlaken. 17,18,19,20 lauterbrunnen 21,22 Bern. 23 zurich to india Please let me know few things How can i connect to those scenary trains? We have a time once I reach zurich airport on 11th.Is it possible to see Rhine falls and come back and take a train to Lucerne ? Or else any boat ride is available from zurich to Lucerne or any other places? Is it possible to visit pilatus because I have a 4 yr daughter... Waiting for your response Preethi
Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Jan 20, 2015 - 8:26 AM

Hi Preethi,

Thanks for your post! The most famous and longer scenic train rides are listed here. The leg Lucerne - Interlaken of the Golden Pass line can be included in your itinerary. Other wonderful train trips that fit your plans are the ones to the Rigi, Jungfraujoch, Brienzer Rothorn and Schynige Platte.

All about the Rhine Falls can be found here. Boat trips are listed here. The Pilatus makes a very nice day trip for children. See here for details please.

Last modified on Jan 20, 2015 - 8:27 AM by Arno
Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
Jan 20, 2015 - 9:35 AM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno ,Thank you very much for your feedback.It will be very useful for me to plan my trip.

Preethi

Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
Jan 22, 2015 - 8:20 AM

HI

How can i connect glacier express from Interlaken to st Moritz (round trip)? I am planning for a day trip. Please advise.

Preethi

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Jan 22, 2015 - 6:17 PM

Hi Preethi,

The Glacier Express takes a full day and the route is not near Interlaken. You can only realistically do this if you plan to stay the night in St. Moritz. Please see here for all details about the train, and this topic may be of help as well. From Interlaken, the Golden Pass line I referred to before makes more sense.

Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
Feb 4, 2015 - 6:05 AM

Hi

What is the right time to book swiss pass tickets ? I am planning to go to swiss in June .... Is it necessary to book the golden pass train now itself or before 90 days?

Preethi

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Feb 4, 2015 - 5:01 PM

Hi Preethi,

The Swiss Travel Pass can already be purchased if you like. Right now, the online price (through Rail Europe India in your case) is considerably lower than the price in Switzerland. So it's not a bad time to buy. Regarding the Golden Pass: you don't need to book that train. You can simply board with your pass. The only exception are the first class VIP seats in the front of the train between Zweisimmen and Montreux, see here please.

The same goes for other trains: you just need the pass, nothing else. More information can be found on myswissalps.com/train/reservations.

Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
Feb 5, 2015 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for your information. ..

Preethi

Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
Mar 28, 2015 - 4:37 PM

Hi

Iam not able to book tickets from Interlaken to montreux on 20th June in goldenpass line train.How do I do this .

Do I need to carry snow shoes for joungfrau region on June ?How will the weather be in June?

Preethi

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Mar 28, 2015 - 7:12 PM

Hi Preethi,

The Golden Pass page explains how to book seats: they're recommended for a few trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux, otherwise they are not necessary. Assuming you will have a Swiss Travel Pass, you don't need tickets. Just the optional seat reservation is enough. If you go to raileurope.co.in/#tab3 you can book seats for the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg, and purchase the Swiss Travel Pass along with it. Also check the discounts you can get.

The region is free of snow in June, apart from Jungfraujoch and a few other peaks, so no need for snow shoes.

Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
Apr 18, 2015 - 3:24 PM

Hi

How should I reach rhine falls from zurich ?

Tell me the simplest route to reach the falls.

Little confusing waiting for ur reply.

Preethi

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Apr 18, 2015 - 4:08 PM

Hi Preethi,

Arno gave you a link to the information about the falls in his first reply. If you click to the Route section on that page you'll find the travel instructions.

Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
Apr 18, 2015 - 5:11 PM
Thnx Annika
Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
May 13, 2015 - 5:53 AM

Hi

Our Air tickets ,hotel rooms and rail passes are booked.Apart from this how many swiss franc should we take along (2 Adults & 4 yr old daughter ) for shopping and food for 12 days?though we have credit card too....

Do we need sweaters in mid June ?

waiting for your reply

Preethi

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
May 14, 2015 - 9:42 AM

Hi Preethi,

How many francs you need varies from person to person. I recommend to take a small amount (like CHF 200) from home, just to have some available right away. Get more cash from the ATMs as you need it, and don't carry around too much. Credit cards and debit cards are widely accepted.

Sweaters could be needed in June. It's entirely weather dependent; the weather can change quickly in the mountains. It can be chilly at night, and you'll also need them in case of colder rainy days, and on peaks.

It sounds like you're ready for your trip now. Have fun!

Last modified on May 14, 2015 - 10:45 AM by Annika
Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
May 14, 2015 - 11:25 AM in reply to Arno

Hi

Ya thnx for ur info

Preethi

Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
Jun 7, 2015 - 5:53 PM

Hi Arno & Annika,

We will be in Switzerland with our toddler in mid June. Have 2 questions

1. How safe is it to roam around the streets in swiss late at nights? The cities we visit are lucern, interlaken, went en (lauterbrunnen), bern.

2. We would have quite a bit of luggage ti suit a 12 day trip. How easy is it to carry luggage in swiss rail and b uses we take to hotels? Do ppl carry luggage into compartments or is it stowed separately in swiss rail and buses?

Thx for the info.

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Jun 8, 2015 - 7:01 PM

Hi Preethi,

1. It is safe. Of course general precautions apply anywhere and anytime, like keeping an eye on your luggage.

2. You either carry luggage yourself or you send it on to your next destination if you prefer light traveling: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ luggage. Long distance buses have separate compartments for anything else than hand luggage. The driver will help with that.

Preethi
Preethi
14 posts
Jun 9, 2015 - 1:36 PM

Hi

Thanks for your response.

How about short distance buses like the one we would take from train stations to hotels?

Do they allow us to board with luggage trollies and get off in 3-4 stops?

Waoting for your reply

Preethi

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Jun 9, 2015 - 1:46 PM

Hi Preethi,

City buses usually have luggage space near the central doors. They absolutely allow you on; their purpose is to get passengers and their luggage to their destination. It's all fine as long as you don't take along more than you can carry.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016