Need help in planning a weekend getaway

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2012 at 6:50:11 #805174

Hi Friends

I am planning to be in Zurich in last week of April and want to visit the following places in April last week or 1st week of May. Can someone please help me plan it (wrt what places that I an fit in this schedule, how to travel (train / cablecar etc), and budget hostels if any where I can put up enroute). My aim is to go on a weekend trip (leaving Zurich Friday night) and be back in Zurich Sunday night. I am a budget traveller so please suggest accordingly

The places I want to see are:
    – Interlaken
    – Lucerne
    – Jungfrau and EigerWall

I read somewhere about going up on 1 route and coming down from Jungfrau on another route.
    Also, if someone can help me with the best possible pass for me, as it is going to be only a 2 day visit (or 3 if I start Friday night)

Thanks for your help.
    Rohit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    11 April 2012 at 12:03:44 #835808

Hello Rohit,

As your time in Switzerland is limited, I would suggest as follows:

– Friday: Zürich – Lucerne. Overnight in Lucerne. For hand picked and hotels information please have a look here.
    – Saturday: Explore Lucerne and surroundings. Consider Mount Titlis, Mount Pilatus or Rigi. Travel to Interlaken, check Swiss Timetable.
    – Sunday: Travel from Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg, from there to Jungfraujoch. At Kleine Scheidegg you will see the Eiger North Face, if you travel to Jungfraujoch the train will take you through the Eiger. Check Swiss Timetable again for times and prices.
    – Going up to Kleine Scheidegg (from where the Jungfraujoch train departs and arrives) and back offers two possibilities indeed. You can travel to Kleine Scheidegg via Wengen and back via Grindelwald or the other way around. The timetable I mentioned can get you more information. If you decide to travel via Grindelwald, you will have a beautiful view at the Eiger North face as well.
    – Sunday evening: travel back to Zürich.

If all of this fits in your time schedule – I don’t know what time you arrive or leave Switzerland – this might be a good idea.
    If you want to do some calculations: please view the Rail Pass page and the possibility of calculating here.

I hope this helps, have a nice trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2012 at 12:08:50 #835809

Hi Olga
    Thanks for the info. No I will be in Zurich for 2 weekends. So probably I might do Lucerne and Mount titlis on 1 and come back to Zurich, and Interlaken-Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfraujoch on the next weekend.

Would this change the plan you suggested?

Thanks
    Rohit

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    11 April 2012 at 12:40:43 #835810

Hello Rohit,

I’m sorry if I misread your question. In that case my suggestions will keep about the same though, if you want to visit the places you mentioned, only differently spread. You will just have more time to see what you want to see. If you want more tips, please look at the day trips in the Bernese Oberland. If I’m missing something again, please let me know.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2012 at 12:47:47 #835811

Hi Olga
    No, its ok 🙂
    Thanks for the info. I am sure it will help me in planning the trips better.
    Will message you when i am finalised with the trip details 🙂

Thanks
    Rohit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2012 at 18:07:00 #835812

Hi Olga
    I was checking the Swiss Flexi saver pass.
    At 188 CHF for 3 days, it seems to cover my requirements (1 day Lucerne+2 days Interlaken / Jungfrau +shilthorn).
    My query is, will it cover this entire trip if covered in 3 days or there is some surcharge on this too? If yes, approx how much?

Thanks
    Rohit

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 April 2012 at 5:50:51 #835813

Hello Rohit. Would you mind posting the same question only once in our forum, and only in related topics? I removed your identical post in two other topics. Thank you!
    As for your question: regular trains, buses and boats will be for free on your free travel days. Mountain transportation is discounted in most cases by 50% (Schilthorn), and by 25% for the Jungfraujoch. Prices can be found using the Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch websites. Please refer to the Swiss Flexi Pass page for specifics, including a downloadable overview of the area of validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2012 at 18:50:29 #835814

Hi

I am thinking of going to Lucerne and surrounding areas this weekend. However the weather for Sunday is not expected to be good.

Are Lucern lake, transport museum, Rigi and one out of Pilatus/ Titlus possible in a day ?

I plan to leave Zurich on the 7oclock train and be back in evening by 8.

Thanks for the information in advance.

Rohit

Annika
    7124 posts
    25 April 2012 at 9:43:00 #835815

Hi Rohit. I think that would be a bit too much for one day. A boat trip over the lake and either Pilatus or Rigi can be combined very well. You will also manage to stroll along the town centre of Lucerne. Getting to the Titlis as well would require quite a long extra trip to Engelberg first. If weather isn’t that good, the transport museum, the town centre and maybe a boat trip over the lake would be a good combination. Did you use the timetable to find out about traveling times and see what’s doable?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2012 at 11:30:08 #835816

Hi Annika

I also saw thats impossible, let alone difficult when i tried to match the time tables.
    So I am thinking now of Titlis and Rigi on 1 day, and some other time coming back for Lucerne town and Interlaken + thun.
    The reason is, i am expecting 4 clear days in the next 4 weeks.. and that leaves me 2 days for Jungfrau + Shilthorn, 1 for Rigi + Titlis, and 1 for Lucern and Interlaken (and Thun and Spienz)

Does this sound more doable? It would give me about 2 hours in both the hill tops which should be enough (hopefully).

Can you please give an alternate suggestion that if I want to cover Lucerne City, Rigi, Titlis, Jungfrau, Shilthorn, Interlaken and surrounding areas in 4 days.. how would you plan it?
    I will then also plan the half fare card / flexi saver card to take accordingly as well (no. of days to buy).

Thanks
    Rohit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2012 at 19:07:50 #835817

Hi Annika
    I have 1 query regarding Bernina express.

I have a swiss flexi pass day left, which I want to use for this trip. Is it possible to start from Zurich and complete the Bernina express journey and return back to Zurich in a looong day, or just not possible?

Thanks
    Rohit

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 April 2012 at 9:23:37 #835818

Hello Rohit. Looking at locations, you should combine Interlaken/Jungfrau/Schilthorn and Lucerne/Rigi/Titlis as much as possible. I wouldn’t visit two mountain tops on one day if I were you. Just take your time at one of them, enjoy the views and combine this with a boat trip or a city visit. As for a round trip Zurich-Bernina Express: that’s a lot (too much, in my opinion) for one day. Please consult the timetable to see whether it’s possible and acceptable to you.

• The thread ‘Need help in planning a weekend getaway’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.