Rail pass for 6 wks in Swiss & other countries

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2016 at 4:25:09 #810287

I’m from the US, coming to Switzerland for 6 weeks starting mid December 2016.I’d like to not schedule a bunch of trips in advance but would rather be spontaneous with travel. I want to travel around Switzerland and other countries. What’s the best pass or combination of rail passes to purchase? Because of the extended stay, I want to save as much as I can on travel so I can see and do more. My base of operations will be Biel/Bienne and I’ll probably fly in/out of Geneva. I’m not a skier but would like to see the winter Alpine sights. – Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 October 2016 at 7:00:39 #856790

Hi Sweber,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Six weeks allows to see a lot, that is great. I understand you can’t fix your entire itinerary in advance, however to pick a rail pass we need a bit more details. If you travel a lot, a Eurail Pass might be the best choice, perhaps combined with a Swiss Half Fare Card if you plan to do a lot of trips in Switzerland not covered by Eurail. If you focus on Switzerland and only do a few side trips to other other countries, multiple Swiss Travel Passes and point to point tickets to those countries may work. It all depends.

Also the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi might be an option. This product will be discontinued in 2017, but as you start using it in December you can still take advantage of it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2016 at 9:03:45 #856791

I’d like to get out and go all over, not just Switzerland. I’m from the Western US so 4 hours doesn’t get me out of my state (but ironically gets me almost to Calgary, Canada). But to have all sorts of options of places and countries to go to would be something I want to take advantage of.

So what will they replace the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi with? Will it not be accepted in 2017 or if you’ve started it in 2016 you can keep using it until the 15 days are complete?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 October 2016 at 1:40:11 #856792

Hi Sweber-

Biel/Bienne has a nice (small) old town. Check it out while you are there.

Apart from traveling around and looking around, do you have specific interests? If , so, it may help point you toward some destinations within Switzerland.

You will be traveling at a time when much of the outdoors is inhospitable (unless you like to ski …and you don’t).

Do you speak any German or French?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2016 at 2:44:44 #856793

I don’t have time to plan anything so that’s why I want a flexible train pass so that when I get there I can decide what I want to do. My question remains regarding the Swiss Travel Pass Flex and and Combi. – If they are getting rid of the Swiss Travel pass Flex Combi, what will they replace it with? Will it not be accepted in 2017 or if you’ve started using it in 2016 can one keep using it until the 15 days are complete?

I have a friend in Switzerland so they are making recommendations for me. However, they don’t travel by rail so they don’t know details such as what I’m inquiring about here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 October 2016 at 8:26:43 #856794

Hi Sweber –

<<“Will it not be accepted in 2017 or if you’ve started using it in 2016 can one keep using it until the 15 days are complete?”>>

Arno and Annika are the experts on rail passes.

Please reads his post on this point earlier in the thread.

Do you have any special interests …..museums, old cities, Alpine views? Do you speak or read any French, German or Italian?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 October 2016 at 9:32:36 #856795

As long as the various retailers sell you the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi, you can use it for the entire month, even into 2017. It wouldn’t be fair otherwise! The replacement is a “regular” Swiss Travel Pass Flex plus a separate Swiss Half Fare Card, which is CHF 60 more expensive. But it has the benefit of getting discounts for a whole month, and not just between the first and last free travel day. The two separate passes may fit your requirements better as you’re not sure yet about your itinerary.

Another option is just buying the Swiss Half Fare Card. For long trips you can always get a 1-day travel pass as an add-on to the Swiss Half Fare Card. This is more expensive than a travel day on a 15-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex though: CHF 73 versus CHF 36.

The links provide lots of details about the various passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 October 2016 at 23:47:19 #856796

Thank you for the information. You’ve answered my questions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 October 2016 at 0:56:49 #856797

<<“Thank you for the information. You’ve answered my questions.”>>

Good to hear that you got what you wanted.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 6 wks in Swiss & other countries’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.