4-day flex pass or half fare pass for 6 day trip?

• Mc1988
    Participant
    3 posts
    5 September 2016 at 18:22:28 #810037

Hi again Arno,

I was wondering if you could help me out with my particular inquiry:

I am traveling to Switzerland from Oct 5-Oct 10. I will arrive in Zurich (Airport Station) and head to Interlaken (Wilderswil station) by train.

from Interlaken, i plan on visiting the Harder Klum and the Piz Gloria area in Murren. Those will be the two activities i will be doing on my trip (and a bike tour that does not reqire transport).

Upon return, i will be flying out of Switzerland from Basel Airport which i will arrive at by train.

Given this information, do you reccommend the 4-day flex pass or the half fare pass? From my research i think i would do better with the 4 day flex. But i am unsure of the rates with regards to getting to the Piz Gloria and the Harder Klum as they both require travel on the gondola trains. Do you think the four day flex would be a greater savings than the half fare pass?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 September 2016 at 6:09:52 #855724

Hi Mc1988,

I am 99% sure the Swiss Half Fare Card will save you more money. The Swiss Travel Pass Flex is pretty expensive. And, with a 4-day pass you would have two days without any discounts at all. Harder Kulm costs CHF 30 and Schilthorn (Piz Gloria) from Mürren cost CHF 80 without discount. You can do the math if you want. If you do, you may also want to include the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass. These pages have all the details:

Mc1988
    Participant
    3 posts
    6 September 2016 at 12:56:52 #855725

Thanks so much, Arno.

I did the math, and you’re right. We are saving about 100 CHF with the 50% pass. Plus the added flexibility of the full month as opposed to 4 days of trabsport is nice

I appreciate your help. Your website is an incredible resource!

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 September 2016 at 13:07:18 #855726

Glad to hear that! Be sure to print your Swiss Half Fare Card at home for extra convenience (saving time, particularly): you can visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) within 1 to 3 business days.

Enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘4-day flex pass or half fare pass for 6 day trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.