Seat reservations Brig to Domodossola

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2016 at 5:48:09 #808880

1. I will traveling from Brig (CH) to Stresa (IT) with a Swiss Transfer Pass so believe I can get on any train on my way out of the country.

2. I have a ticket with seat reservation from Trenitalia for the portion Domodossola to Stresa.

3. SBB web site states that a seat reservation on the EC train from Brig to Domodossola is mandatory, but does not allow me to reserve a seat on this train.

4. My question is – how can I make a seat reservation? Is it necessary? Many thanks for any help anyone can give

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2016 at 14:23:49 #850608

Seat reservation is mandarory in EC trains, not in IR (local) trains between Brig and Domodossola.

See also: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations

Annika
    7125 posts
    11 April 2016 at 14:40:15 #850609

Hi BobbyN, welcome to MySwissAlps!

In addition to Brahms’ answer: you could use an IC train that doesn’t require seat reservations for the leg Brig-Domodossola, get out in Domodossola and board the train you’ve made reservations for in there. In all, this might be easier the easier option.

Alternatively, you can use a the direct EC train all the way from Brig, but that one indeed requires seat reservations. Since the leg Domodossola-Stresa is already covered, you additionaly need seat reservations for Brig-Domodossola. Mind that you’ll be traveling with two different seat reservations, so you’ll probably have to switch seats halfway. You should be able to do this using the SBB: enter Brig-Domodossola, pick the exact EC train you have the reservations Domodossola-Stresa for, and enter the buying process. When asked for reduction options, select “GA” in either 1st or 2nd class as this provides free traveling for Brig-Domodossola, just like your Swiss Transfer Ticket or Swiss Travel Pass (I’m not sure which one you’ll be using) will. This way you’ll pay for the seat reservation only, not for the trip itself. If this doesn’t work, please refer to the resellers listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy/price and pick “seat reservations” from the drop-downlist at the right.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2016 at 18:45:01 #850610

Hi,

Many thanks for your prompt and comprehensive reply. Your last paragraph answer seems to provide the ideal solution. Alas when I try to select the Reduction option “GA” (on the SBB site) – it does not appear!

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 April 2016 at 6:16:05 #850611

Hi BobbyN,

Indeed, some trains do not include that option. To be honest, I have no idea why. Personally, with a Swiss Travel Pass, and thus paying for the ride, I would probably just board with the seat reservation from Domodossola, although officially you indeed need one from Brig. It seems hard to get an additional reservation for that leg only. You may want to ask the SBB if it’s ok to do it like that, or if there’s a way to get a reservation. You can do so at any staffed Swiss train station as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2016 at 8:00:21 #850612

Hi,

I also will be travelling from lauterbrunnen to Milan and will be using Swiss travel pass.

I have made booking/seat reservation only from Domodossola to Milan. However, no reservation from Brig-Domodossola.

I am also curious for the answer to above query as to how to make the reservations.

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2016 at 11:48:47 #850613

Hi hisjam,

Don’t know if this will help you but I received this email response to my question from SBB Contact Center in Brigg:

“For this train it is not possible to purchase a seat reservation between Brig and Domodossola online. If you would like to book a seat on this train, please phone our Rail Service under following number 0900 300 300 (CHF 1.19/min. from the Swiss fixed-line network) and they will book it for you. Cost for the seat reservation is CHF 5.- per person”.

BobbyN

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2016 at 12:30:38 #850614

Thanks BobbyN,

When is your travel date? I will be travelling in May end.

I am hoping you can share more information in case you travel before or else I can share the info after my travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2016 at 12:49:56 #850615

Hisjsam,

I will be travelling Thu 16th June 2016 – Zermatt to Stresa (via Brig). I am now thinking to travel with Swiss Half Fare Pass. Purchase tickets on line in advance, which should cover for any train on a specific date, then phone and book a seat reservation Brig to Domodossola, stay on the same train for my reservation with Trenitalia to Stresa. Hope this makes sense. I will post at the weekend to let you know of any further information I may have and let you know how I get on with booking the seat reservation, by phone, to SBB in Switzerland.

BobbyN

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2016 at 13:28:30 #850616

Thanks for sharing the info.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 April 2016 at 11:48:37 #850617

I double checked with the SBB and they confirmed that one can board the train in Brig with a Swiss Travel Pass and a ticket Domodossola to Milan with seat reservation. According to them, the seat reservation is obligatory from Domodossola only.

Here’s the quote: “If you have already the Swiss Travel Pass and you travel from Brig to Domodossola you don’t need a seat reservation. Its obligatory from Domodossola to Milano.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2016 at 12:22:12 #850618

Arno,

Many thanks for finding this information for me, I’m very grateful that you have chased this issue and obtained the information. I assume HISJSAM that you have viewed this and hope this helps with your interest in this matter.

Thanks again. BobbyN

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2016 at 20:16:15 #850619

Many thanks Arno.

Much grateful for the pain you have taken to help out so many travelers 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2016 at 9:31:22 #850620

Sorry mates, but I’m a bit confused here.

I plan to travel from Interlaken to Milan Centrale thru Spiez and Domodossola. I understand the train from Domodossola to Milan is under IC and another ticket has to be purchased.

However, I wonder if the Swiss Travel Pass covers the journey from Interlaken to Domodossola for free, because somehow the Swiss Travel Pass map (doc.myswissalps.com/do cs/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelsystem .pdf?sfvrsn=30) is showing a dotted line between Spiez > Brig > Domodossola, meaning that it has 50% discount only rather than free of charge.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 April 2016 at 11:14:58 #850621

No worries, that’s a tunnel but fully covered as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2016 at 13:52:34 #850622

I have a similar situation and question. I purchased a Swiss Transfer Pass and also will be departing Switzerland from Zermatt. Prior to finding the very informative My Swiss Alps forum, I had already booked an Intercity ticket from Brig to Milan. Can I use the Swiss Transfer Ticket from Zermatt to Brig and end the SBB journey in Brig and then transfer to the Trenitalia (Intercity) train from Brig to Milan?

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 May 2016 at 6:32:50 #850623

Welcome bwelliottfl2; I’m glad you find our website informative!

Yes, you can use the Swiss Transfer Ticket from Zermatt to Brig and then use another ticket to proceed from there. Normally one would use the Swiss Transfer Ticket for longer trips though. I assume you’ll have a long inbound trip to Zermatt to make it worth it to buy a Swiss Transfer Ticket? In any case: have a great trip!

• The thread ‘Seat reservations Brig to Domodossola’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.