Suggestion on Swiss rail pass for 6 days

Suggestion on Swiss rail pass for 6 days

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
aniytl
aniytl
1 post
Jun 22, 2016 - 10:08 AM

Hi

Myself and my wife will be travelling to switzerland in June end. I need advise selecting travel pass so that I can buy after reaching the airport.

My itinerary is below

Day1 : arrive at Basel airport and travel to luzern.

Day2: visit to engelberg , Mt titlis

Day 3 : Explore Luzern and travel to Thun.

Day4 : Explore near Thun - Interlaken

Day5: Travel to murren. . Explore murren

Day6 : travel to Basel airport from murren for return journey .

Could you please suggest me which travel pass I should buy. I can see 2/3/4 or 8 days travel pass but my trip is for 6 days. Will Half price card suitable for me ?

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Jun 22, 2016 - 1:25 PM

Hi aniytl, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

Personally I would stay in Mürren for two nights, because it's in the Alps and Thun isn't. Thun is a very nice town you can visit en route. Also you can save some time by staying two nights in one hotel instead of changing hotels.

As for the pass: the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass would work perfectly well. It's the most convenient pass as you don't need tickets for trains, buses, boats (e.g. Lake Thun) and most museums. Whether the one month Swiss Half Fare Card works out cheaper should be calculated.

In either case there is no need to buy the pass or card at the airport. You can print it at home. That will save you the time of going to the staffed ticket desk with your passports. With a printed pass, you can take the first available bus to the train station of Basel, which you may miss otherwise. As you live in the UK, you can visit www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick "Online Ticket" from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home. I'd recommend to do so in time as it takes 1 to 3 business days to receive the e-mail. Buying it today or tomorrow may save you money as the exchange rates may drop based on Thursday's referendum in the UK.

Enjoy your trip!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016