Swiss Pass or Eurail Global Pass ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2013 at 22:26:10 #806040

I am planning my 2nd Europe trip and my duration is flexible. I missed to visit Switzerland during my last trip because I cannot decide on the train pass. I plan it for my next visit since I want it to be the highlight of my trip. My whole trip will be around 2 to 3 months using a eurail global pass but I am not sure if I should get a seperate Swiss Pass for Switzerland or just use my Eurail Pass. I understand some of their services are not similar and as my duration is flexible, I hope to make a choice that make the best of my budget. My days in Switzerland is not decided yet.
    I am more interested in outdoor scenery, journeys and day walks; and less on city scenes. So I probably will not stay to visit any city for more than a day unless I use it as a base for nearby trips. I wish to do all the 4 scenic rail journeys or at least 3 of the more popular.

Please me on whether I should just use the Eurail or get seperate Swiss Pass.

If I use a seperate Swiss Pass, I will place Switzerland at the beginning or end of my trip.

Thank you for any advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 June 2013 at 0:50:21 #838837

Hi sincere,

The choice depends on what exactly you’re going to do. As you say “outdoor scenery”, you may want to use lots of cable cars, and most of them are not included in Eurail. On the other hand, if the scenic rail journeys are regular trains, not mountain trains, most of these will be covered by Eurail. You can best study the Swiss Pass page and the Eurail pass page as all information, including downloadable network maps and reseller details, is available there. Then list your plans in detail and do the math. If you want the best coverage in Switzerland and be flexible, then just take a Swiss Pass as it covers much more than Eurail (e.g. city transport, discounted mountain transport, the Glacier Express, museums).

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass or Eurail Global Pass ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.