Swiss rail questions before trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2012 at 12:57:50 #805624

Will be departing for Switzerland on Oct 4 (4 of us) & Oct 5 (2 of us)..  Still have many questions..  I am hoping I can get some guidance.  First we are thinking when we arrive in Switzerland we will buy our buy one get one Swiss Passes.   Am I correct in believing these can be purchased at the station upon arrival?  

Next we, 3 of us, will be in Switzerland for a total of 8 days and on the 8th day we will depart to Salzburg.   So It looks like we can take the Swiss rail as far as Feidkirch, then from that point we will purchase our remainder of the way ticket.  Is this correct?   Would we buy the Feidkirch to Salzburg portion in Switzerland or do we get off train in Feidkirch and purchase?

Next would it make sense to buy the buy one get one passes for the first four days only (there will be 6 total) so even number works.  Then on the 5th day the 3 of us traveling on to Austria purchase the buy one get one Swiss Flex pass?  Here is the reason and where it gets confusing.  We will leave Austria and travel to Milan, Italy.  I am thinking that the train to Milan will go through Switzerland and we could use a partial day for the Swiss leg of the trip and then once we are done with Italy we will be traveling back to Italy and could use our final day from the Italian Border back to zurich.   Does this make sense?  Would it work..   And if it does work and we bought a buy one get on Swiss Flex Pass does the 3rd person get any discount.  

Last but not least at least for now on the map it shows what is covered in full with the passes.  I understand all the solid lines are fully covered, but it show dotted/dashed lines in yellow, red & black  then says 50% or 25%.  I understand that Jungfracoh is 25%, but for example we will be staying in Brienz and when I look at the map there is a dotted red line looks like it goes from Brienz Station to Rothorn then a dotted black line that goes to Sorenberg/Schon-buel.   Are these trips not covered fully?  Is so can anyone explain what type is and is not covered.  

I know I am asking a lot and could have some confusion, but we are getting close and I just want to totally understand the rail system and get the best possible value out of it.  Thanks so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 September 2012 at 2:03:44 #837216

Hi Cheryl,

I don’t know any sales outlets in Switzerland that sell the promoted passes. You can easily order them online and use the promo codes for raileurope-world.com I explained about earlier for a further discount. Anyway, all purchase options are on the Swiss Pass page (buying locally is included if available for a particular pass). Just make the right selections and you see exactly where you can purchase. You don’t need to get off the train in Feldkirch. You can buy the ticket at any manned Swiss rail station. I would advice to do it as soon as you’re in Switzerland as you may need seat reservations as well.

Well, you can travel from Salzburg to Milan via Switzerland, but I think the best connections go directly via Verona (Italy). Just pick a connection from the timetable, and if it crosses Switzerland, then yes, you can use your Swiss Flexi Pass if you want.

Dotted lines are sections discounted by 50%.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2012 at 7:51:01 #837217

Thanks for your response.  I have been under the impression we could purchase when we arrived.  Can you tell me if I order today will be get them in time we depart on October 4, 2012.  Are E-tickets available or can we pick up when we arrive.   Also when I click on the RailEurope it shows $260.00 for the tickets.   Yet when it directs me to the site it show $242.00.  Any idea why?    Next question am I able to order all 6 passes, actually 3 b/c it is buy one get one on the same order even though 2 of our travelers will be arriving on Friday?  Just want to make sure they come as 3 separate passes.

Also would like your thought on my first post about the 3 of us picking up the Swiss Flex pass to pick up after our 4 day Swiss Pass runs out for the final days in Switzerland then traveling to Austria and back from Italy.  

I cannot say thank you enough for all of your help.  Cheryl

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 September 2012 at 9:24:29 #837218

You’re welcome Cheryl! Our website does not show pure pass prices, but the total amount incl. shipping which is currently $260 for a 4-day Swiss Saver Pass for 2 people when purchased through raileurope.com. The additional $18 is shipping costs, but you won’t have to pay that as you’ll purchase 3 of these passes. Shipping is free for larger orders. Just review the reseller details on our Swiss Pass page and you’ll find it all explained there.

Yes, you’ll get 3 separate passes if you add them to your shopping cart one by one from this page.

So you want Swiss Saver Passes for 4 consecutive days (for 6 people), plus Swiss Saver Flexi Passes for the 3 people that go to Austria? Sure that’s an option. You can use it for the Swiss leg on your way to Austria, for crossing Switzerland when you go to Italy (if that’s what the route is) and for your way back into Switzerland. The 3th person will pay the regular price as the promotion is only for 2 people. You could purchase a 3-day Swiss Flexi Pass for that person, which is cheaper than the regular 4-day pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2012 at 10:16:21 #837219

Thank. You. I think lastly. Are we ok to buy now? Will we get them in time or are they e tickets

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 September 2012 at 10:28:38 #837220

Hi Cheryl,

The passes are physical tickets, but there’s plenty of time for them to arrive. That will only take a few days. Shipping details including estimated arrival dates for the shipment are on the Swiss Pass page as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2012 at 10:35:43 #837221

Again. When buying the flex pass 3 day is there any discount if under 26?

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 September 2012 at 11:00:28 #837222

Hi Cheryl,

No there isn’t. Youth passes are only available for consecutive days (4, 8, etc.).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2012 at 11:26:01 #837223

Thxs. I think I will haberdasher one more lengthy Demario for u. I going to type out my plans for all and post. If you would look over and comment it would be great. I so appreciate your help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2012 at 12:39:58 #837224

The following is what I thought may work best and most economical for us.  I appreciate any input you can give me.

6 of us traveling to Zurich 4 arriving on October 5, 2 arriving on Oct 6, 2012.   All will have the buy one get one Swiss Pass $260 USD.   So for those arriving on the 5th would have 4 consecutive days, Oct 5, 6, 7, 8 totally covered.  The 2 arriving on the 6th would go until the 9th covered.   Then thinking of purchasing 2 buy one get one 4 day Swiss Flex Pass cost of $298 USD. There would be 4 of us using those.  2 would activate on Oct 9 and 2 would activate on Oct 10.    (My understanding is that we would have up to 1 month to use these with 4 full days of travel and all the rest would be 50% last day of trip would need to be a full day).  Now on Oct 12 3 of us will head to Austria so that would be a 50% day as far as Feilkrich then on the 16th we will head to Milan and use 50% if we go at all via Switzerland then on Oct 18 we will head to Zurich from Milan so that would be our final full fare as far as passes in Switzerland.  I understand we will have to pay for the Austria/Italy sections. (Is it ok for just one to travel on the buy one get one as long as they hold the pass and travel with other 2).  Now you notice that 1 of the 4 of us will not head to Austria, she will head on her own to Italy, so for the Oct 9, 10, 11  we would all travel exactly the same, but the separate on the 12th.  Can she buy her fares from Switzerland to Italy and then join back up with us to use the final day from Milan to Zurich.

In case you are wondering the 2 missing travelers are leaving our group and heading to Italy on Wed Oct 10.  So they would start with the 4 day Swiss Pass and then purchase day tickets for 2 days.  

Does all this make sense to you.  I just want to get it all taken care of and would like to do it the easiest possible way.   Again you have been so helpful and I so appreciate it.  

Lastly can we buy both the Swiss Pass and Swiss Saver Pass at the same time and then arrive Zurich and validate just the Swiss Pass, then on October 9th have validated at what ever station we depart from, which will most likely be Brienz as that is the area we are staying.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 September 2012 at 1:36:20 #837225

Hi Cheryl,

Most of it looks fine to me! A few comments: You’re quoting prices for 2 people which includes shipping, put you’ll pay less than that. A Swiss Saver Flexi Pass indeed needs to end with a free travel day, it also needs to start with a free travel days. You’re talking about 50% days on your way to/from Austria and Italy, but I suppose you’ll be using the free travel days there.

Yes, one person can travel with a 2-person pass. Sure the person traveling alone for a while can purchase separate tickets and join back later. As long as her name is listed on one of your passes, she can travel (or not travel) with that pass anytime.

Yes, the passes can be purchased at the same time and validated separately whenever you need.

Enjoy your stay in the Alps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2012 at 6:59:30 #837226

Thank you so. Uh. You make feel like we are finally able to purchase. Last night on went on the site and did a walk through purchase. I do realize that the prices I quoted were for two. When I did the walk through it offers free shipping and says 2 -3 day shipping to the US. Also I noted that I first selected the Swiss pass for 6 of us and that went into my shopping cart. I then went back and selected the Swiss flex pass when it goes in your cart it says the same thing as the Swiss pass does not indicate “flex” pass but the cost appeared right. Do I assume the order is correct. Also do you recommend taking insurance? And finally. They will arrive 3 Swiss passes for 2 people each and then 2 passes for 2 people each. Just want to double check because I need to leave one set of passes home to travel the following day to Switzerland. Thanks again!

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 September 2012 at 8:11:31 #837227

Hi Cheryl,

Great to hear that! I would recommend to add 3 passes for 2 people to the cart, instead of one for 6. Just to be sure you’ll get 3 separate passes. The “flexi” pass is indicated as “4 days in 1 month”. Insurance is up to you to decide. You may have travel insurance that covers the passes as well, but I don’t know about that. If it’s not covered in your regular insurance, you can minimize the risk with the Rail Protection Plan.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2012 at 10:12:25 #837228

Would it make sense to do the one set on a totally separate order? Because it does ask if all ate traving together at all timess The flex pass did.not come up like that. I will try again

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 September 2012 at 10:35:04 #837229

The question about traveling together at all times will be asked for each pass. That’s why you should add 3 passes for 2 people to your cart instead of one pass for 6 people. You don’t need to create separate orders. Then you’ll loose free shipping.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2012 at 12:14:42 #837230

Thanks I am buying tonight. So keep your fingers crossed that way I won’t have to drive you crazy anymore

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2012 at 13:28:50 #837231

Good news we bought our passes and they should be delivered tomorrow. So I now am wondering about train reservations. Do you think we should make reservations prior to going to montreux, zermatt etc. have been told probably no but thought I would ask you.

Thanks

Annika
    7125 posts
    19 September 2012 at 11:15:21 #837232

Hello Cheryl. No, you don’t have to make seat reservations for such trips. You should only do so for panoramic trains, such as the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass. More information can be found at the seat reservation page.

• The thread ‘Swiss rail questions before trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.